List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NAILSEA COURT

List entry Number: 1129104

Location

NAILSEA COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityNailsea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NAILSEA C.P. - ST 46 NE 6/47 Nailsea Court 13.10.52 G.V. I

House. 4 periods of building, C15, C16 (perhaps 2 phases), later C17 or c.1700, and the reconstruction of the west wing and other alterations by Arthur Stratton from 1910. Rubble, roughcast, limestone dressings and pantiled roofs to east, stone tiled to west, with raised coped verges and ball finials to gables, stone stacks with caps. Main range with wing to north east and wing to south west, early C20 kitchens and domestic offices along west elevation. 3 storeys, south front has 4 bays, all gabled with projecting 3-storey gabled porch 2nd from left; 2 bays to right have 4-light windows with 4-centred heads to lights, moulded mullions and hood moulds, leaded lights (most windows of this kind) at ground and first floor, similar 3-light window in each gable, lead rainwater heads, bay to left has 2 wooden mullion and transom windows at ground floor, two 32-pane sashes of early C18 at first floor in exposed boxes and 2-light stone casement with ovolo mullion and hood mould, lintel string at ground and first floor; porch has 4-centred arched door opening, studded door with raised fillets and strap hinges, frieze with Greek fret carving, dentilled cornice, oriel above with 2-light ovolo mullion casement to front and single light to each side, 2-light ovolo-moulded casement above and breather in gable end. East side of south wing has 3 gabled bays, bay to right set forward slightly with diagonal buttress; bay to left has 4-light similar window at ground and first floor, 3-light at 2nd floor, single round-headed light with hood mould at ground and first floor right; central bay has pointed arched stone doorway with moulded surround, door with raised fillets and strap hinges, single light to right, 4-light window at first floor and 3-light at 2nd floor, trefoil in each gable; bay to right has 3-light window at first and 2nd floor, 3-light casement with ovolo mullions at ground floor. South elevation of south wing has 2 gabled bays, to right of Stratton's work; to right a canted bay through 2 storeys, 5-light ground floor window with transom, single light to each side, similar window above without transom, stone stepped roof, similar 3-light window at 2nd floor and trefoil; gable to left has 4-light window at ground and first floor and 3-light at 2nd floor and trefoil, re-set bronze sundial to left dated 1663 with inscription "vivat Carolus Secundus". West elevation has blocked 4-centred arched opening with 2-light ovolo casement inset, 2-light roll-moulded casement at first floor, parapet and coping and small hipped 2-light dormer; to left, kitchen wings, have at right side hipped roof over 2-storey block with stone 2-light cusped window set on wall at ground floor, 2-light window above and single light to side, front gable has 4-light window at ground and first floor, 3-light at 2nd floor, 2-light window under eaves to right. Single storey block set in angle to left, 2 gable ends to left central gable has 2-light window with ogee lights, flat head and hood mould at first and 2nd floor; gable to left, set back, has 3-light roll-moulded window at first floor and 3-light window at 2nd floor, small addition set in angle between; ashlar stack to left, external stack at central gable end. East elevation has 3 uneven gabled bays, to left with 4-light window at ground and first floor, 3-light at 2nd floor, small oval bull's eye at ground floor right, single light above; central bay has 4-centred arched blocked door, main windows as at bay to left, bay to right the same. Rear has gable end to left with attic lancet, inner side of north east wing has 2-storey addition with 8-pane sash to outer side; inner side has 2 stone cross windows at ground floor with ovolo mullion and transom and relieving arch, 4-centred arched door between with raised fillets and strap hinges, first floor has 2-light roll-moulded casement and 2-light wooden casement, two 2-light dormers with hipped roofs. Rear of main range has 4 bays, narrow gabled bay to left with door and sidelight, small opening above, first floor 3-light window and 2nd floor 2-light; 2 central bays have at ground floor 2 wooden mullion and transom windows, two 32-pane sashes in exposed boxes under eaves (lighting upper floor of hall), 2 buttresses and stack to left; bay to right has 2-light cellar opening, 5-light window with relieving arch at ground floor, 4-light at first floor and 3-light at 2nd floor, straight joint to left. Attached to right, rear of kitchen wing has 3-light window and 3-light casement with ovolo mullions at ground floor, single light and 3-light casement under eaves, lead rainwater head dated 1669 (re-set) and stack. Interior: the Langford Room in the south wing has many brought-in features, including panelling from no. 18 Fore Street, Taunton, over-mantel from Upper Langford Court, fine plaster ceiling from Ashley Manor, Bristol and carved frieze, stained glass including sundial. Window to west of main range has mediaeval stained glass including picture of swan ringing a bell, as at Bishop's Palace, Wells. Dining room door, c.1590, the "Nailsea door" has large arcaded upper panel with elaborate carving on both sides. Hall has framed ceiling in 6 bays with chamfered and stopped beams, stone fireplace. Many other internal features, including late C17 staircase with moulded strings and handrail and twisted balusters, stone doorways and fireplaces, panelling of late C16 character; for further details see sources. Nailsea Court was the birthplace in 1551 of Richard Perceval, who is said to have translated the captured Spanish documents which gave warning of the preparation of the Armada. In 1698 the Court passed to Major Nathaniel Wade, who is said to have been concerned in the Rye House Plot and who took part in the Monmouth Rebellion. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958. Robinson, W.J. : West Country Manors 1930. Country Life vol. XXXII, p. 890. Bath and District branch of Somerset Archaeological Society Proceedings 1911).

Listing NGR: ST4571068201

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Robinson, W J, West Country Manors, (1930)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1911)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 32, (), 890

National Grid Reference: ST 45710 68201

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 09:49:25.