List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1129064

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CORONATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityBleadon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33613

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 35 NW BLEADON C.P. CORONATION ROAD

4/4 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 9.2.61 G.V. I

Anglican Parish Church. C14 (dedicated 1317), mostly C15, restored, and chancel shortened, mid C19. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roof, coped verges. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north organ chamber. Perpendicular tower, nave and first bay of chancel, remainder of which is decorated. Tower of 3 stages, weathered diagonal buttresses, north east polygonal stair turret; first stage, low, four centered arch west door under drip mould with decorated stops and blank shields in spandrels, 4-light pointed west window; second stage has one blank pointed window per side; at third stage, each side has 3 similar 2-light windows, outer ones are blank, central window is part open and louvred to bell chamber; half way up this stage, buttresses fade to clasping pilasters which rise through cornice to crocketed finials above quatrefoil pierced parapet; stair turret rises above this with panels and spirelet. Nave has 3 windows to south, tracery of that to west is plain, heavy and not cusped; to north, window to west is similar, then there is a blocked four-centred door with drip, then evidence of a 2-bay blocked arcade, the eastern bay of which has a small 2-light window, beyond is a plain, square rood stair turret with a single slit light. Gabled south porch has moulded, pointed arch and similar empty niche above. The west bay of the chancel has a 3-light window, Perpendicular, under a drip with one grotesque stop, beyond, chancel is decorated; to the south there are 2 two-light windows under a narrow drip which is joined at the impost, window to west has a further 2 lights below a transom, a low side light, between these windows a priests door with a prettily cusped head; 3-light east window; at north, 2 two-light windows, much restored, evidence of a blocked doorway (perhaps to former sacristy); the gabled north organ chamber is of 1953. Interior: very thick tower arch bears only one wave below the impost and is moulded above, there is a tierceron vault and a C20 screen; nave windows have complete rear-arches, that at south west has double moulding, all have very deep hollow; 2-bay blocked arcade at north east has shafts and hollows; rood stair doors are intact, crude moulded wagon roof; south porch has a moulded inner door above which is a narrow niche with vaulted canopy, mounted in east wall is a substantial fragment of mediaeval statuary, a panel with Madonna and 2 kneeling supplicants all under a cusped ogee arch; heavily moulded chancel arch with stone screen base, all the decorated windows have cinquefoiled rear-arches, there is an ogee cusped and sub-cusped canopy over the priest's door and this motif is repeated over a tomb recess in the south of the sanctuary, small cusped aumbry to north, plain wagon roof. Glass: east window of 1964, otherwise victorian memorial glass. Fittings: C12 tub font on later pedestal. Altered C15 pulpit on pedestal with a frieze, then a 2 light panel per side between crocketed finials, above a frieze and a cornice, mounted in arcade are C14 encaustic floor tiles from former chancel and fragments of early statuary. Tablets: south nave, slate crown and apron, remainder marble with allegorical figure to Mary Tutton, 1769, by S. Haynes of Bristol; marble on slate ground with draped urn to Samuel Norman, 1805, by H. Wood of Bristol. Sources: unascribed church guide n.d.; N. Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958.

Listing NGR: ST3414356909

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 34141 56909

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 12:59:15.