List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1128753

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityYate

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34843

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 78 SW YATE CHURCH ROAD (west side)

7/219 Parish Church of St. Mary the 3.3.61 Virgin G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12; remodelled C13 and altered late C14/C15; restored 1859 (interior), 1879 (chancel) by R. Nevill and 1896-97 (the stair turret and the parapet of the tower) by W.D. Caroe; C20 additions to the north side. West tower; north aisle; nave and south porch; north and south transepts; chancel and north and south (Lady) Chapel. Random and coursed sandstone rubble with freestone (oolitic limestone) dressings; stone slate roofs. West tower: Perpendicular style of 3 stages and diagonal buttresses; pierced and embattled parapet (1897) with corner and central crocketted pinnacles, the central ones rise from the head of an ogee cusped canopied niche between the blind 2-light mullioned and transomed windows of the 2nd stage; similar windows to 3rd stage but the upper parts have pierced quatrefoils; 4-light windows to first stage glazed to the west blank elsewhere. West door is C19 with moulded surround, square dripmould and carved stone; polygonal stair turret at north- east corner (1879). North aisle: two 3-light square headed Perpendicular style windows with cusped traceried heads and mouchettes, under drip moulds. North transept; window similar to west window. Chancel: windows as north aisle; east window of 4-lights with cusped tracery heads; priest's door with moulded surround and 4-centred head. South transept: 4-light window as east window; heavily restored C12 window in west wall. South porch: roll moulded, round headed door surround with 2 Perpendicular image niches above; south door is C15 in heavily moulded surround; C19 2 bay arch-braced collar-beam roof. Interior. 4 bay north arcade; the east bay occupies the space of a central tower, the collapse of which seems to have necessitated the rebuilding of the two eastern bays which have Perpendicular piers of wave mouldings between engaged columns with circular capitals; the west respond of the 2nd bay rests on a C13 pier and the 2 westernmost bays of the arcade are C13 with keel moulded piers and coarsely cut floriate capitals. 2 bay chancel with piers similar to the 2 western bays of the arcade; chancel arch and arches to transepts are Perpendicular in style. Font: C15, octagonal with quatrefoils around the bowl. Wall painting: to west of north door a fragment of St. Christopher and a water mill. Reassembled fragments of mediaeval glass in north chapel. Remains of rood stair in north west corner of north chapel. The remainder of the fittings are modern and extremely plain. Monuments: south chapel, brass to Alexander Staples, died 1590, with 2 wives and 11 children; north chapel, Richard Hill, died 1755, marble tablet with entablature, flat pyramid background with drapery swag and urn finial; south transept Thomas Stokes, died 1786, by Reeves of Bath, square marble tablet with entablature and draped urn. Ogee headed piscina in north chapel; 4-centre headed piscina in chancel. (Verey, D, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, l970).

Listing NGR: ST7137382815

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 71370 82815

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:06:56.