List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1128065

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthoritySawston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53055

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4849 SAWSTON CHURCH LANE 9/244 Parish Church of 22.11.67 St Mary GV I Parish Church. c.1180 three west bays of nave arcade, early C13 east bays possibly replace original tower and south transept and chancel rebuilt. South aisle rebuilt, west tower early C14. North aisle rebuilt and north porch late C14. C15, chancel-arch rebuilt, north vestry added and clerestory. (Vestry demolished c.1750, Cole). Church restored 1870-1, 1878, 1891; south vestry added 1899. Walls of flint rubble, dressings of Barnack limestone and clunch. Roofs of slate. North elevation: Chancel with two lancet windows, C15 doorway to former vestry with two-centred head (south doorway C12). Plain parapet to nave and north aisle with moulded plinth band continuous around buttresses. Five clerestory windows of two sexfoil-lights in two-centred heads, restored. North aisle buttresses of two stages; blocked window to east with head stops, four restored cinquefoil light windows, two centred arched doorway with C15 door; porch with plain parapet gable archway of two moulded orders with label and head stops. Tower of three stages with embattled parapet and moulded plinth; trefoiled-light window in second stage belfry window of two-trefoiled-lights. Interior: Nave arcades of five bays with pier and double responds between second and third bays. Two east bays C13 with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, circular piers and semi circular responds with moulded caps and double chamfered bases; three western bays C12, half round arches with round and octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Chancel arch, C15, two-centred of two moulded orders and responds with attached shafts moulded caps and bases. Tower arch, two centred of two moulded orders, responds with three main and two subsidiary shafts with moulded caps and bases. Piscinae, in chancel recess with triangular head C13; in south aisle recess with trefoiled head C15. Trefoiled headed recess in chancel C13, and C15 recess with central pier and ogee-head in north aisle. Glass in chancel south windows C15. Monuments and floor slabs. In chancel, to Sir John Huddleston, 1530 altar tomb and canopy of clunch, base with four quatrefoils. Remains of brass to Elizabeth Pole in slab of Purbeck marble; to Gregory Milner, fellow of Trinity 1616,painted alabaster tablet with kneeling figures of man and wife. In north aisle to William Swann Daniel 1848, and Fredrick 1849 and Edward 1855 sons, marble tablet; to Thomas Evans 1850 and Elizabeth his wife 1845, marble tablet. In south aisle to Henry Hudleston, Sir Robert his son, Lt Col Henry Hudleston his brother 1664/5 and Elizabeth his wife 1659, scrolled marble tablet with coat of arms. Brass indents see (Blair) of Wm de Sawston d.1308 coffin uncovered under indent in 1973 with two skeletons. Graffiti - C15 inscriptions, geometric patterns, and figure with sword. R.C.H.M. Report 1949 Blair, W.J. Indents and Graffiti 1974 unpublished V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.260 Teversham. History of Sawston

Listing NGR: TL4876149236

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Teversham - Title: History of Sawston
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Blair, W J - Title: Indents and Graffiti - Date: 1974
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1978 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 260

National Grid Reference: TL 48761 49236

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:46:37.