List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1127774

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityCoton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51694

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4058 COTON HIGH STREET (South Side)

10/77 Church of St Peter 31. 8.62

GV I

Parish Church. C12 nave and chancel, early and late C14 south aisle, C15 north aisle, C14 west tower. Restoration of 1863-4, and 1880. Recently (1984) the tower has been repaired. Pebble and fieldstone, dressed and carved limestone ashlar, clunch as inner walling and originally to door and window openings. Tiled roofs. Plan of west tower, nave. North and South aisles and porches, and chancel. C14 west tower of pebblestone, clunch and dressed limestone quoins. Modern render to upper stage. Three stages, embattled, on two-stage plinth with diagonally set four-stage buttressing. Restored west window with vertical tracery. Small ashlar spire with two tiers of gabled spire lights. Nave, C12 in origin, originally aisleless. The south east corner retains an engaged angle shaft of C12. South aisle added c.1300, and roof raised late C14 when south aisle roof raised. North aisle added C15-C16. South aisle flanks the west tower and has restored fenestration and a roof raised in late C14 and now slated. Tine south porch is also much restored and the roof has two kingpost trusses, with ogee moulding to the main cornice. The beams appear to be reused."The C12 chancel has been partly rebuilt. Coursed limestone ashlar. In the south wall a chamfered string course forms a sill to original, C12 window opening in round-headed and roll-moulded arch, on engaged columns with cushion capitals. There is a similar window in the north wall. The remaining fenestration is C19, except for a similar reset C12 window in'an alcove in the chancel. Interior: C14 two-centred tower arch of three continuous chamfered orders divided by deep hollow mouldings. c.1300, three-bay south arcade of two centred arches. Two chamfered orders on quatrefoil piers with roll moulding between the angles, and moulded capitals and bases. North arcade, C15, of three bays with two-centred arches. Two moulded orders, the inner on semicircular attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and the outer continuous. The roof of the south aisle dates from the roof raise of late C14 and that of the north aisle is C15. The chancel interior has been much altered but retains part of a C15 chancel screen. In the south aisle there is an angel corbel on one side of the original south chapel. The font is C12, square bowl with carved sides, including intersecting arcading and chevron pattern. The stem is original but the four angle shafts are modern. Monuments: In south wall of chancel, wall monument of Andrew Downes 1627. Painted clunch. South aisle, west end, table tomb of Richard Hatley, 1707 and Mary, his wife 1699. Limestone, with raised and fielded panelled sides and black marble top with inscription. Chest, C16 with iron fittings. Communion table, C17, of oak, in north aisle. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon. (1) Plates 5,9,22,52, G2 and 63 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p325

Listing NGR: TL4088458887

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West - Date: 1968
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 325

National Grid Reference: TL 40884 58887

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:53:43.