List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1127404

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityHiston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50590

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HISTON CHURCH STREET TL 4263-4363 (South Side) 14/38 Parish Church of 31.8.62 St Andrew GV I Parish church. C13 cruciform plan, tower rebuilt C14 and south porch. Restoration 1874-5, chancel by Sir G.G. Scott, nave and aisles 1857 by F.W. Bodley in neo Early English style. Walls of limestone ashlar and Barnack limestone with rendered limestone rubble, interior walls of clunch. Plain tile and lead roofs. South elevation: Nave clerestorey with four circular foiled windows. Plain parapet to aisle with two, three-light windows with vertical tracery. South porch, two-centred arched opening of two chamfered orders. Transept with angle buttresses of two stages chamfered and stopped and one short centre buttress; just visible the jambs of original lancet windows blocked and replaced by large C15 three-light window. Chancel has one single and two double-lancet windows. Tower of two upper stages with plain parapet and angle buttresses; belfry window of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil and weathering of earlier roofs. Interior. Chancel restored with barrel roof, east window with stepped lancets, chancel and tower arches C13 two-centred with semi-octagonal responds and chevron black and white painted decoration of chamfers. Transept roofs restored of two bays. In both transepts very fine C13 arcades of two-centred arches deeply moulded, supported on shafts with bell capitals and bases, some moulding interlacing, labels with mask stops. Matching also, double piscenae with interlacing moulded arches. Windows replaced in C15 except for east window of south transept with original lancets. Nave of two bays with octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. Aisles with restored C15 roofs of six bays with octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. Aisles with restored C15 roofs of six bays. South door medieval, font with panels of quatrefoils C14, lecturn carved angel with eagle book rest C19. Glass by Mayer of Munich and by Clayton and Bell 1872. Transepts possibly by same mason designer as St John's Hospital Cambridge. Wm Cole visited the church in 1745 and noted a wooden east chancel wall. Some material from nearby St Etheldreda church (demolished) is said to have been reused during the restoration. Nave roof, original C15 low pitch, removed to No. 10 Church Street after restoration. The timbers are deeply moulded and stopped. Hill, A.G. Arch Notes of Camb Churches (details of restoration) 1880 Cambridge Camden Society, Churches of Cambs and Isle of Ely p. 68 Pevsner, Buildings of England p. 408

Listing NGR: TL4361363987

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Churches of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely68
Hill, A G , Architectural Notes of Churches of Cambridgeshire, (1880)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 408

National Grid Reference: TL 43613 63987

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:14:36.