List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1127385

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityLandbeach

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50652

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4665-4765 LANDBEACH HIGH STREET (East Side)

11/97 Parish Church of 31.8.62 All Saints

GV I

Parish Church. C13 chancel extended mid C14 and west tower rebuilt, spire late C14, nave arcades and aisle C14. Clerestorey added and aisles widened with south porch mid C15. Nave roof, C15 with reused C14 tie beams restored in mansard form possibly by John Tinkler, Rector in C19. South aisle window replaced in restoration of 1878 and vestry built on site of former Lady Chapel demolished in C18 by Robert Masters. North aisle and nave roof restored by Rattee and Kett in 1983. Flint and rubble walls plastered, with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of lead and plain tiles. South elevation; Tower of three stages with moulded plinth band and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles and four stage angle buttresses. Two-light, Y-tracery belfrey window. Spire with spire lights alternating on each face. Embattled parapet to nave clerestorey with four windows of trefoiled-lights in two-centred arches. South aisle windows partly restored of three cinquefoil-lights in two-centred arches. Chancel and nave with gable parapets. One two-light chancel window in four-centred arch and C19 two-quatrefoil-light window. South porch with stone date 1613 has two-centred arched doorway and two reset gargoyles. Interior. Nave arcades of four bays with octagonal clunch piers with moulded caps and bases, and two-centred arches of two-chamfered orders. Nave roof of four bays with carved angel hammer beams alternating with earlier C14 tie beams, moulded principal timbers with carved bosses at intersections and cornice and soffit of tie beams enriched with fleurons and other details. Aisle roofs of four bays with pierced decoration to braced wall posts supported on carved angel corbels. North aisle originally extended as a chapel rebuilt as C19 vestry and partly converted to organ chamber. Chancel arch two-centred with two-chamfered orders, semi octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Chancel screen of three bays, ogee heads, restored, removed from tower arch by Robert Masters. C19 scissor-braced roof. Tower arch two-centred with two continuous orders to moulded plinth. Wall painting in nave, modern font on medieval base. Piscenae and stoup in south aisle, Easter Sepulchre altered as monument in north aisle. C15 glass fragments in windows, some pieces identified as Lady Margaret, foundress of St Johns and Christs Colleges, and her parents John and Margaret Beaufort. Chancel stalls with misericords , restored C15 pews, pulpit removed from Jesus College in 1778 with carved panels of smiths tools. Lectern possible C17, Dutch, wooden angel on pedestal. C13 tomb canopy in nave, two boards of commandments. Monuments include fine brass indents, tomb to Wm Master d. 1798. C.A.S. Vol. 4 1876-1880 Walker, B. Wm Cole Sketch of Church 1745 Clay, W.K. History of Landbeach 1861 Pevsner: Buildings of England p. 421

Listing NGR: TL4765865358

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clay, WK , History of Landbeach, (1861)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 421
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 4, (1880)

National Grid Reference: TL 47658 65358

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:58:49.