List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DENNY ABBEY

List entry Number: 1127360

Location

DENNY ABBEY, ELY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWaterbeach

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50693

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 46 NE WATERBEACH ELY ROAD (East Side)

4/147 Denny Abbey 31.8.62 GV I

Benedictine abbey church remains c.1150; later C12 and C13 additions by Knights Templars. Converted to Franciscan nunnery in C14 by the Countess of Pembroke (d.1377), and farmhouse after the Dissolution with further C18 and C19 alterations. Between 1947-1977 the partitions of the farmhouse were mostly removed by the MPBW and later the DoE; excavations within the building revealed the late C12 south aisle. Barnack and ashlar limestone with limestone rubble; C16 red brick and brick repairs, C19 gault brick eaves cornice, walls originally plastered. Plain tile roofs. Two storeys (originally three), each facade with blocked openings and inserted C18 and C19 windows, some retained and replaced, others recently blocked and plastered. The east facade shows clearly the blocked chancel arch and ambulatory arches of the original church superimposed to the north by the attached shafts of the C14 church of the Franciscan nuns demolished at the Dissolution. Interior. The nave and transepts of the original cruciform church survive to eaves height with the addition of one bay and a south aisle and clerestorey by the Knights Templars c.1170, the clerestorey windows are now blocked or partly uncovered. The south aisle was demolished for the later C13 Templar infirmary which included a small C13 room to the south west. The fine scissor-braced roof is partly restored. Alterations to the church and infirmary c.1342 when converted to the domestic quarters of the Countess of Pembroke and the Franciscan nuns included the demolition of the C12 chancel, the insertion of a first floor and stair cases, the blocking of the C12 crossing arches, new openings at both floor levels, and chimneys. In the C16 the gable wall of the south transept was rebuilt in red brick with a large stack and hearths at both floor levels. Main building excluding infirmary reroofed c.1773. Displayed in the building are medieval floor tiles and carved stone details. The building is Crown Property and is a scheduled Ancient Monument. Masters, R. History of Waterbeach p. 38, 1 Clay, W.K. History of Waterbeach p. 84 1859 Hodgson, J.F. Arch. Vol. 42, p. 240, 1885 Barnard, L.A.B., P.C.A.S. Vol, 29, p. 72 1927 V.C.H. II p. 259-262 1948 Spittle, S.D.T. Arch. J. Vol, 124, 1967 DoE leaflet, Denny Abbey 1977 Ravensdale, J.R. Liable to Flood, P,142 1974

Listing NGR: TL4922168404

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Denny Abbey, (1977)
Clay, W K, History of Waterbeach, (1859), 84
Masters, R, History of Waterbeach38
Ravensdale, J R, Liable to Flood, (1974), 142
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1948), 259-262
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, (1967)
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 29, (1927), 72
Hodgson, J F, 'Archaeology' in Archaeology, , Vol. 42, (1885), 240

National Grid Reference: TL 49221 68404

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 07:48:51.