List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1127298

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAELS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityLongstanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50826

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014

TL 46NW 5/77

LONGSTANTON, ST. MICHAELS LANE (East Side), Church of St. Michael

31.8.62

GV II*

Church. Mostly early C13 with chancel rebuilt 1884. Fieldstones with Barnack limestone dressings and reed thatch and tiled roofs. Original end parapets to nave with gabled double bellcote to West gable end. Nave with North and South aisles, South porch and chancel. West gable has two four stage buttresses and restored C14 West window. South porch probably rebuilt C19 incorporating some old material including some clunch in a niche above the outer archway, also partly of clunch. Inner arch, C13, two centred double chamfered arch with outer carried on shafts, restored. The chancel has three C19 lancet windows to the South wall, probably on site of original. The North doorway is of two chamfered orders the outer on attached shafts with moulded capital and base. The North wall of the nave contains dressed ashlar indicating earlier openings. Interior: Early C13 nave arcade of four bays with two centred arches of two chamfered orders on alternating round and octagonal columns with round or octagonal capitals and holdwater bases. Chancel arch similar with half octagonal responds. The double piscina in the chancel is of clunch, partly restored, and has intersecting work in a square head. The church is now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. Pevsner. Buildings of England p.433 R.C.H.M. record card

Listing NGR: TL4029365854

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 433

National Grid Reference: TL 40293 65854

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:31:11.