List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL THE SAINTS

List entry Number: 1127283

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL THE SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWillingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50889

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4070 WILLINGHAM CHURCH STREET (North Side)

11/141 Church of St. Mary 31.8.62 and All Saints

GV I

Parish church, mainly early C14, with South aisle and spire restored 1825 and general restoration of 1891. Coursed limestone, and limestone rubble with dressed stone to quoins. Some clunch. Tiled nave roof, and stone slates to sacristy roof; the roofs of the chancel and South aisle are obscured by parapets. West tower, nave, North and South aisles, south porch, chancel and sacristy. West tower with broach spire, early C14. Coursed limestone. Tower of three stages, embattled on double splayed plinth with five stage angle buttressing. Restored fenestration. Main cornice with frieze of boss ornament and corner turrets with pinnacles surmounted by finials. C14, three stage broach spire; also of limestone ashlar, each with gabled lucerne to each side and buttressed from the corner turrets. The buttresses have running ornament to the upper edge and pierced tracery in the spandrels. Nave of coursed rubblestone, with dressed limestone to the quoins. Each side of clerestory has three windows, each with two cinquefoil lights in square head. Parapetted South aisle of similar date to nave, early C14, with restored reticulated tracery, except for C13 window possibly surviving from an earlier church in the West wall. Large grotesque gargoyles to main cornice. The South porch is of similar date, rebuilt 1896 with gabled parapetted roof and mutilated corner pinnacles with finials and niche of clunch. Below is outer two centred arch, restored at base. Half round engaged columns to responds, with moulded capitals, the shafts of the columns having a large fillet. Inner arch also early C14 of continuous hollow and roll moulded orders. The walls of the porch incorporate fragments of moulded stone, some C11 possibly from an earlier church. The porch is in two bays with restored arcading to the side walls and a late C15 roof with hollow and roll moulding to the purlins, ridge piece and bosses at the intersections. The Chancel has been extensively restored in early C14 style externally. On the North side of the chancel is a sacristy or North chapel. Like the West tower, but unlike the rest of the church, it is of coursed limestone ashlar with a steeply pitched stone slate roof, the eaves having a hollow and roll moulded cornice also of stone. East window of two cinquefoil lights with foiled head in two centred arch. One small two light window to side and West wall, also original. C15 brick rood loft stair turret in angle between chancel and North aisle. Interior: Nave arcade of six bays. Double chamfered two centred arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The fine angel roof to the nave is in twelve bays, and of C15, restored C19-C20. Double hammer beam construction, with three tiers of angels with outstretched wings carved to soffits of hammer beams. The other roof timbers are also richly moulded. The North and South aisles have fine C15 roofs. The North aisle has part of C14 parclose screen to the former chapel, the tower panels to the nave are painted with a bird and foliate design. The South aisle has a more intact C15 parclose screen, with fragments of original painting. There are C14 wall tombs with ogee arches to both North and South chapels, the one in the North chapel is double. The chancel screen also retains original work in the lower, closed stage. The chancel was much restored in C19 but retains the original rear arches of C14, and a blocked C13 window with a wide splay, in the North wall. The piscina and sedilia have been much restored. The pulpit is C16, restored 1894. The sacristy is in four unequal bays and has a fine collar rafter roof of clunch. Three chamfered, two centred arches each pierced with tracery. There is a piscina in the South wall. The rafters are carried on original mask corbels. The font is C15, octagonal with panelled sides with quatrefoils on octagonal stem. The nave was richly painted in C15, some areas of which have survived and the figure of St. Christopher has been restored. Pevsner. Buildings of England p.486 R.C.H.M. record card

Listing NGR: TL4047670501

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 486

National Grid Reference: TL 40476 70501

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Dec-2014 at 05:12:10.