List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1127115

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityBottisham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49279

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5460 BOTTISHAM HIGH STREET (East Side) 11/6 Church of Holy Trinity 19. 8.1959 I

Parish church. The early C13 chancel, West tower and West porch survive from an earlier church on the site but in the early C14 the nave and aisles were rebuilt. The exterior of the church, including the tracery was extensively repaired and restored in C19 and C20. It is built of clunch and limestone, but there is some original flint in the West porch. Embattled West tower of two stages with crocketted finials at corners. Set-back buttresses. Original lancet windows at first stage. West porch, also early C13, with gabled roof, now slated. Two storeys. Gable end has a two-centred arch to a blind recess with a badly worn blank niche above a window to a parish room. West doorway in a two centred arch of two chamfered orders, the outer arch on a nook shaft with annulet ring, bell shaped capital and holdwater base. Nave, each side of clerestory has four early C14 windows of a single trefoil light in a two-centred arch. The splays have wave and hollow moulding. The South aisle, also C14 and with six windows, all restored. Below the sills are a series of recesses possibly for tombs, in pointed arches, divided by C14 two-stage, gabled buttresses. The South porch is contemporary with the aisle. There is some flushwork in the side aisles. The inner and outer arches are two-centred and of continuous wave moulded orders, divided by a hollow moulding. The chancel, although C13, has been rendered and the fenestration restored. Inside the church, the king post roof truss of the West porch is original. The staircase to the parish room, c1670, is closed-string with flat section balusters and square newel post with faceted ball finial. The openings from the tower to the nave and porch are all early C13, and of two chamfered orders in two centred arches. The gable end of the early C13 nave roof is visible in the West end of the nave. The present seven bay roof is of crown-post construction and late medieval in date. Nave arcade in five bays. Two centred arches of two wave and hollow moulded orders on quatrefoil piers with moulded capitals and bases. The filleted foils have keeled minor shafts between them. In the chancel there is a double piscina, early C13, in two bays divided by a colonette with moulded capital and base. The three seat sedilia had similar colonettes. In the South aisle there is an early C14 piscina and sedilia. Between the nave and chancel is a C15 screen of clunch and limestone, restored in parts. In three bays, each with two centre arches in square head with quatrefoils to spandrels. There is a dado with closed panels and below each side bay an arcade of four two centred arches. The North and South aisles both have oak screens of C15, reset and altered. In North aisle, late C16 or early C17 wall monument of clunch, painted to Thomas Pledger, 1599, and Margaret, his wife, 1598. Also in North aisle black and white marble wall monument to Leonellus and Dorothea Allington, children of William and Elizabeth Allington. 1638. Attributed to W. Wright. In South.aisle to Sir Roger Jenyns, 1740 and Elizabeth, his wife, 1728. Fine white and grey marble standing wall monument. Also in South aisle wall monument: Soame Jenyns, 1787 and his wives Mary and Elizabeth, 1796, white marble signed J Bacon. R.A. Sculptor, 1796. Reset in South wall of South aisle is a stone panel, painted with figure of child and recording gift of school by Sir Roger Jenyns in 1730.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p.1, mon (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p303

Listing NGR: TL5455860489

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East - Date: 1972 - Page References: 1
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 303

National Grid Reference: TL 54558 60489

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:04:04.