List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS

List entry Number: 1127104

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWestley Waterless

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49249

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 65 NW WESTLEY WATERLESS

6/171 Parish Church of 19.8.59 St Mary the Less (formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish church; chancel early C13, nave and aisles C14, west gable wall rebuilt c.1855 after collapse of C12 round tower. Chancel reroofed C19. Flint, brick and rubble walls originally plastered; clunch and Barnack limestone dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs. Wooden spirelet with lead covering and iron cross. Nave of three bays, arcades with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal piers with octagonal capitals moulded on four faces, chancel arch similar but with grotesques on capitals. Windows of north and south aisles foiled-two-lights in two-centred arches with fragments of C14 glass and Flemish glass. East window of three-lights; C13 lancet window and C14 ogee-crocketed-niche in south wall of chancel. Aisles and chancel with foiled piscinae. C14 stone effigy in south aisle. Brass floor monument to Sir John de Crete and his wife c.1325, noteworthy for being one of the earliest, possibly by Walter le Masun. Font C13, octagonal with lightly carved panels. Three tomb covers C13 fixed to west wall. Graffiti inscription on east reveal of easterly south aisle window records in C14 arabic the produce of the church vines. Small C19 pipe organ originally from Reach Congregational Chapel. Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.478 VCH, Vol. VI, p.180. R.K.M. Davies, The Parish Church of Westley Waterless, 1970. RCHM (Cambs. Notes, 1951).

Listing NGR: TL6179256222

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Davies, R K M , The Parish Church of Westley Waterless, (1970)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 478
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 180

National Grid Reference: TL 61792 56222

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 09:48:25.