List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1126699

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of PeterboroughUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50220

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 EX-OLD FLETTON UD CHURCH LANE Stanground Church of St John The Baptist TL 2097 52/543 TL 1997 SE 51/543 14.11.74 GV 2. Mainly circa 1300 or early C14. Church is built of coursed stone rubble with freestone dressings and bars - Welsh slate roofs. Restored 1872 and 1908. Comprising nave, north and south aisles, chancel with north chapel and vestry and west tower all circa 1300. Nave with square headed 2-light clerestory windows. North and south aisles have circa 1300 windows with intersecting tracery and 3-light lancets under one segmental pointed arch. South aisle has some reset C13 material. Chancel has large restored east window of 5-lights with intersecting tracery and 3 large south windows with Y tracery and small window with square head and 3 pointed lights. North vestry has window with bar tracery with foiled circle. West tower has diagonal buttresses in 3 stages, first stage has 2-light west windows, second stage has trefoiled circular windows and third stage has bell openings with Y tracery. Stone broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and ball flower frieze. South porch of 1876. Interior: Early C14 north and south 4 bay arcades with thin octagonal piers, the east bays of the south arcade are largely of C13 material. Double chamfered chancel arch with moulded respond capitals. In chancel early C14 double piscina and early C14 sedilia under one segmental arch. Circa 1300 stone seat in north wall of chancel. C15 rood loft staircase. Lower part of screen in north aisle. Bench ends with poppy heads (and luncarne heads). C16 and C17 brasses. C13 coffin lid in tomb recess in tower. Circa 1300 font with panelled octagonal bowl and shafter stem. Monument: John Forster 1752, tablet with bust above. RCHM (1) page 74.

Listing NGR: TL1999497482

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , Peterborough New Town: a survey of antiquities..., (1969)

National Grid Reference: TL 19994 97482

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:46:51.