List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CONSERVATIVE CLUB

List entry Number: 1126681

Location

THE CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 29, HILL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48254

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF4509 WISBECH HILL STREET (North Side)

1113/6/57 No.29 (The Conservative Club) 31.10.1983

GV II*

Former guildhall, used principally as a grammar school 1549-1898, now a political club. Hall range c1379, ceiled-in and probably refenestrated C18, roof structure mostly renewed during remodelling, 1808. West wing 1549 or 1585, refitted C19. Extended on north side 1651 or 1716. South porch probably C18. Alterations C19 and mid and late C20. C20 roughcast conceals main structural materials. Hall range may he stone. Porch, east gable and west gable stack, brick. Roofs C19 Welsh slate. Hall range, single storey, 3 bays. West wing, 2 storeys plus attics, single bay. Porch 2 storeys, single bay. L-plan. Hall range has 3 round headed windows with leaded glazing, with impost blocks and keystones. 3 similar windows on the north side are covered by a late C20 addition, and converted to doorways. East end has a crowstepped gable, probably C18. Dormers were installed in 1808, and removed probably early C20. West wing has a renewed 8/8 sash, with a late C20 glazing bar casement above. Attic has a gabled dormer, reglazed late C20. Northern extension has on the east side a wood mullioned window. Porch has coped gable with kneelers, ball finials, and central cross. Segment headed rebated doorway with double doors, and renewed 6/6 sash above. Interior: Cross passage has two C19 doors to west, and C18 round headed double door into hall to east. Segment headed doors in central partition and at north end. Hall has 5 late C14 carved corbels, and C18 ceiling with aerial and cross beams. West wall has close studding and braces, and incorporates a crenellated beam. This is believed to have supported a Gallery. Roof structure renewed 1808 except for the filled west truss. The attic room beyond this at the west end of the main range has a large stone fireplace, probably C17, and here the medieval roof survives. West rear wing has C16 moulded ceiling beams to the ground floor, and a roof of A-frame trusses and a single crown post roof truss. This building is of considerable architectural and historic interest incorporating significant parts of a late C14 secular building and subsequently becoming Wisbech's town hall and grammar school after the Dissolution until the C19, with alterations and additions reflecting these uses. Sources: K Morrison RCHM report, July 1995. M Devenish The Old Grammar School, in Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1994. FJ Gardiner History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood (etc), 1898 AW Poyser History of Wisbech Grammar School, 1909 AV Poyser The Old School (in) The Wisbechian, 1948 N Walker & T Craddock History of Wisbech and the Fens, 1849 TS Watson & T Craddock History of Wishech, 1833 W Watson An Historical Account of Wishech, 1827 HL White History of Wisbech Grammar School, 1935 (or 1939) VCH Cambridge & Isle of Ely, vols. ii & iv

Bibliography

4978 The Buildings of England, Cambridgeshire (Nikolaus Pevsner), 1970, Page(s) 498 4978 An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wishech (W Watson), 1827, Page(s) 421 4979 Historv of Wisbech and Neighbourhood (FJ Gardiner), 1898, Page(s) 232-4



Listing NGR: TF4621009759

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 232-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 498
Poyser, A W , History of Wisbech Grammar School, (1909)
Poyser, A V, The Wisbechian, (1948)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1989)
Watson, T S, Craddock, T, History of Wisbech, (1833)
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827), 421
White, H L , History of Wisbech Grammar School, (1935)
Devenish, C, 'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in The Old Grammar School, (1994)

National Grid Reference: TF 46210 09759

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:08:23.