List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1126669

Location

THE MUSEUM, MUSEUM SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48325

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following previous listing date shall be added.

Page 55 Item number 6/127 10.2.69

--------------------------------------

WISBECH MUSEUM SQUARE TF 4609 (North Side) 6/127 The Museum GV II*

Museum, one of the first to be designed in the country, architect George Buckler (b.1811-86). Built in 1846-7. Grey gault brick with stone dressings; slate roofs with two stacks. Two storeys and half-basements; two rear wings extended in 1884. Symmetrical facade with entrance bay recessed. Deep, moulded dentil cornice and stone frieze band. Rainwater head taken from Albion Place dated 1722 with cross-keys. Main entrance approached by seven stone steps with iron railings. Quasi-Doric porch, including side-lights, to half-glazed double doors. Two, first floor, and two larger ground floor three-light hung sash windows with console brackets to cills and deep cornices. Four stone piers terminate low garden wall with stone copings, originally with iron railings. Interior has entrance hall with top lit central hall to rear. Long display hall to left hand with gallery on three sides and two open string staircases with patterned cast iron balusters. Library to right hand exended 1884. All rooms fitted with original display cases and bookcases. VCH Cambs, p.243. Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p,199. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502. Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1960. Craddock and Walker, History of Wisbech, p.433. A. Peckover, Watercolour, W. & F. Mus. S. Smith, photographic collection, W. & F. Mus, 1853-8. P.H. Peckover, photographic collection, p,121, 1931.

Listing NGR: TF4626009567

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 199
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 502
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 243
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 433
'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in Wisbech Society Annual Report, (1960)

National Grid Reference: TF 46260 09567

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:57:11.