List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1126595

Location

32, OLD MARKET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 01-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48439

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for 5/232 WISBECH OLD MARKET (west side) No 32 (Sulehay House) The address shall be amended to read

WISBECH OLD MARKET (North side)

------------------------------------

WISBECH OLD MARKET TF 4509 9 (West Side) 5/232 No. 32 (Sulehay House) GV II*

House built 1723, dated rainwater head. Side entrance to east later in C18, raised to two storeys in C19. Local red brick with stone bands and plinth band, and rusticated quoins from first floor. Three storeys and basement. Four end stacks, parapet to each elevation with stone coping and two brick panels to north and south elevations. Two, twelve-paned, slightly recessed hung sash windows in cambered gauged brick arches with stone cills; two similar, but larger windows at ground floor and first floor. Side entrance approached by stone steps with iron railings. Round-headed, moulded, stone architrave with lion masks, six-panelled door with patterned fanlight. Brick pier with stone cap, urn finial and plinth terminating boundary wall to east. Interior has very fine original open-string staircase with carved brackets to newels with volutes and leaf swags; carved leaf ornament to stair risers. Panelled doors; raised and fielded panelling and cornices. VCH Cambs, p.243. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech Collection), 1982. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.499. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus.

Listing NGR: TF4597809801

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 243
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 499

National Grid Reference: TF 45978 09801

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 06:48:28.