List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE QUEEN'S HALL (HEADMASTER'S HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1126505

Location

THE QUEEN'S HALL (HEADMASTER'S HOUSE), THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityEly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48696

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 The Queen's Hall TL 5479 2/92 (Headmaster's House) 23.9.50. GV 2. The Queen's Hall was built by Prior Crauden circa 1330. It is said to have been built for entertaining Queen Philippa, wife of Edward III. It is now the Headmaster's House of the King's School. The original vaulted undercroft remains with ribbed vaulting springing from plain columns without capitals. There are C14 pointed arched windows with curvilinear tracery on the south and east fronts. It is built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack, or similar, stone dressings and much brick patching. The hall of 4 bays, which has been sub-divided to form a dwelling house, is buttressed on the east front and has small corner wings (or towers) on the south end. The present steeply pitched tiled roof replaces an earlier flat leaded roof. The line of the original roof can still be seen on the south gable. Although much altered, the interior retains Cl4 features including corbels carved in the shape of crouching figures (similar to those in the Great Hall) which took the roof principals, also a C14 corbelled chimney stack on the west side, with ogee arches springing from carved heads. (Originally an external feature, now enclosed by later buildings).

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's house (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5402880172

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54028 80172

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 11:23:33.