List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES TO BISHOP'S PALACE

List entry Number: 1126481

Location

STABLES TO BISHOP'S PALACE, 9, THE GALLERY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityEly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48735

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE GALLERY 1. 1082 No 9 (Stables to Bishop's Palace) (formerly listed as part of Bishop's Palace, palace Green) TL 5379 2/145 TL 5479 2/145 GV 2. A C13 Carr stone rubble building with Barnack stone dressings. The north front was remodelled in the Cl6 and faced in red brick. Originally used as a range of stables with lofts and living quarters above, it is now a single dwelling. 2 storeys, The south front has C13 narrow lancet windows with arched heads on the lst storey and a loft doorway approached by an external wood staircase. The ground storey has C20 casement windows and garage accommodation. The north front of Cl6 red brick with stone dressings was probably built in circa 1550 by Bishop Goodrich when he built the west tower and wing to Bishopfs Palace. At the east end there is a stone dressed crows stepped gable with a loft entrance doorway. A number of blocked window openings survive, some with 4-centred arched heads. At the east end there is the blocked upper part of a 4-centred arched carriage way with squared hood mould and carved spandrels and a square stone panel, carved, above. The carriage way originally opened on to a stable yard on the south side where there is a corresponding 4-centred archway. Roof tiled.

Nos 2 to 8 (consec), No 9 (stables to the Bishop's Palace) form a group with The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), The Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the Garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse together with the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Bishop's palace and the Wall to the Bishop's palace. The college.

Listing NGR: TL5400380161

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54003 80161

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 02:01:50.