List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1126377

Location

THE SCHOOL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityChippenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48994

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 66 NE CHIPPENHAM HIGH STREET (south-west side)

6/69 The School 1.12.51 House (formerly listed as School) GV II*

House, late C17, rebuilt c.1708 as a village school by Lord Orford, with medieval limestone and clunch foundations and basement walls. Local buff and red brick with red brick window and door jambs and quoins; limestone details. Plain tile hipped roof. One storey and basement with small C19 single storey brick extension to rear built as a soup kitchen. Facade altered in C19 when original triangular pediment was removed, and the parapets and possibly the window arches rebuilt. Symmetrical facade divided by giant brick pilasters with dentil enriched stone cornices; plinth with moulded stone band and three round, red gauged brick basement windows now sealed. Main entrance approached by brick steps and low side walls; eight, raised and fielded panelled door and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars in moulded wooden architrave. Wooden cornice forming shallow canopy supported on carved brackets. Eight round headed windows with fixed lights and glazing bars in original wooden frames in gauged brick arches with stone imposts and fanned key blocks. Interior converted to a dwelling. Basement approached from rear by C17 brick steps, has similar bricks in some internal walls and tunnel vaults. The clunch walls, possibly C13, with some re-used stone have two projecting corbels and possibly formed the foundations and basement walls to the Knights Hospitlers preceptory.

Wm Cole. Mss. Chippenham, C.R.O. Estate Map 1712 of Lord Orford's Estate. C.R.O. Barber R W. History of Chippenham, pp.10, 29. 1897 Pevsner. Buildings in England, p.322 V.C.H., Cambs. Vol. 2, p.264-66

Listing NGR: TL6627069763

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barber, RW, History of Chippenham, (1897), 10
Barber, RW, History of Chippenham, (1897), 29
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 322
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1948), 264-266

National Grid Reference: TL 66270 69763

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:46:49.