List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LODGES, GATEWAY AND RAILINGS TO SOUTH OF PARK

List entry Number: 1126376

Location

LODGES, GATEWAY AND RAILINGS TO SOUTH OF PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityChippenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Apr-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 66 NE CHIPPENHAM CHIPPENHAM PARK

6/67 Lodges, gateway and railings to south of Park 2.4.76 (formerly listed as Arch and South Lodges at Chippenham GV II* Park)

Matching pair of Neo Classical lodges and gateway c.1745 built for Lord Sandys. Ashlar limestone with low pitched slate roofs. Central, red brick stacks. Two storeys with main entrances facing carriageway and triangular pedimented gables to road. Band between floors. Three first floor casement windows with glazing bars recessed in segmental arches. One large central round-headed hung sash window with glazing bars shaped to arch flanked by two matching doors each with projecting cornice and Greek fret designed frieze. Low wall with iron railings shaped in plan links lodges to main entrance gateway. Large round-head archway with two small flanking arches with railings, two recessed panels above with swags and panel below, deep classical cornice with frieze inscription 'In spe spire'. Sculpture of Hope above in Coade stone, added by John Tharp, c.1800.

Barber R W. History of Cambridgeshire, p.31 O.S. Maps, 1885, 1903. C.R.O.

Listing NGR: TL6635768199

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barber, RW, History of Chippenham, (1897), 31
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 66357 68199

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 08:35:55.