List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1125956

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityNewton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48119

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 41 SW NEWTON CHURCH LANE 6/47 (South Side)

23.6.52 Church of St James

II*

Parish church with C13 nave arcade, but mainly C14 with C15 and C19 alterations. Rubblestone with brick repairs and plaster rendered. C14 west tower, embattled and of three stages on splayed plinth. Four stage angle buttressing with newel staircase in south west corner. Moulded main cornice with two beast gargoyles to each side. West doorway, two-centred arch, hollow and roll moulded with a moulded label and mask stops. West window, restored, of three cinquefoil lights with decorated tracery to head in two-centred arch. Each side of bell-stage has two cinquefoil openings with quatrefoil to head in two-centred arch. The gable end of the C14 roof is visible in the east wall of the tower. Nave. Low pitch roof, leaded with clerestorey of five windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in square heads with label and return stops. South aisle with three windows of two cinquefoil lights with foiled heads in four- centred arches. South porch has an outer archway of two hollow and roll moulded orders, each carried on an attached shaft with moulded capital and base. Chancel, C15. North and south walls each have two windows of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four-centred head. East window restored. C15 and of four cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four-centred head. Interior. North and south arcades, C13 and of five bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on round columns with moulded octagonal capitals and moulded bases. Chancel arch, C14 and of two chamfered orders, the inner on attached shafts forming responds. North of chancel arch is C15 doorway to C19 rood loft above the screen. The roof was boarded and painted in C19 and has Minton tiles to floor and stained glass to windows. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.204). Pevnser (Building of England), p.444.

Listing NGR: TF4402814811

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970)
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 204

National Grid Reference: TF 44028 14811

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 09:34:46.