List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1125941

Location

ELM HOUSE, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityElm

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48081

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 40 NE ELM MAIN ROAD 11/9

23.6.52 Elm House

II*

House, C.1630, with late C18 facade. Red brick, English bond with paler bricks, Flemish bond, to front wall. Parapetted roof of Collyweston slates to front range and Welsh slates to roof of rear range. Tumbled gable end parapets and projecting end stacks, one to the north corbelled out. Rear range has a ridge and end stack. T-plan. Front range of two storeys and attics. Three dormers. The parapet has recessed panels and stone coping and the facade is framed by pilaster strips and bands above first floor and between the storeys. The centre bay projects slightly. Stone sills and gauged, red brick arches to range of five recessed hung sashes each of twelve panes. Three stone steps, segmental in plan lead up to central doorway with flat hood on moulded wood brackets. Six panelled door with rectangular fanlight. The c.1630 part of the front range has rubbed brick band between the storeys. The rear range was originally of two storeys but an attic storey was added when the roof was raised in the late C18. Band at former eaves height and between storeys. At first floor, three former window openings, now blocked, with rusticated brick surrounds. Segmental arches to two late C18 flush frame hung sashes in open boxing. Doorway, opposite the stack forming a lobby entry. In north wall of rear range at ground floor one three light casement with ovolo mullions, probably reused. Interior. Late C18 main staircase of six flights and two landings, open-string with three turned balusters to each tread, moulded and raked rail with curtail and scroll tread ends. Panelled dado to staircase. One ground floor room panelled in two heights with moulded dado and modillion cornice. Shouldered fireplace surround with carved pulvinated frieze, dentils to mantel cornice and a frieze of Vitruvian scroll ornament. Shouldered and ramped overmantle with drops of fruit and foliage. Doorways have shouldered architraves. Fragments of 1630 panelling, reset, are visible in cupboards between front range and kitchen. Pevesner (Buildings of England), p.336. VCH (Cambs) Col.IV, p.183.

Listing NGR: TF4711407012

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 336
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 183

National Grid Reference: TF 47114 07012

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 08:27:17.