List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1125926

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityTydd St. Giles

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48146

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 41 NW TYDD ST. GILES CHURCH LANE 3/71 (East Side)

23.6.52 Church of St. Giles

GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 nave with C14 north and south aisles. The chancel was destroyed by Gilbert Scott in the 1860s. The church is noteworthy for its nave arcade and west front. Barnack stone with rubblestone and some brick. C14 west doorway. Ogee arch with running foliate ornament and foliated terminal. Above are three C14 niches with trefoil heads and ogee arches divided by small piers, set diagonally, with pointed finials. Two buttresses, each of three stages, and each with a similar niche to the second stage. West window of five trefoil lights with foiled and intersecting tracery in head. Two centred arch. Nave has original late C12 clerestory, now blocked, of four windows. Two centred arches of one chamfered order. Above is the C15 or C16 clerestory of six windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in a square head. Beast gargoyles to C15 or C16 cornice above clerestory. Roof raised C19. South aisle. Three C14 windows of three trefoil lights with decorated tracery in four- centred arches, and two late C14 or C15 windows, also of three trefoil lights but with vertical tracery. South doorway. Two-centred arch with roll and hollow mouldings. North aisle, mainly C14. Five windows of three trefoil lights with decorated tracery in four-centred arches. North porch. Late C13 or early C14. Two-centred outer arch of one moulded and one chamfered order, with half-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. Interior. North and south arcades, late C12 and of six bays. Round-headed arches of two chamfered orders on round columns with scalloped or foliate capitals on hold-water bases. Chancel arch C14, two-centred and of hollow and roll moulding, the responds have half-round attached columns with foliate capitals and moulded bases and are flanked by two similar smaller attached shafts or columns. Piscina, C14, in south wall of south chapel. Trefoil head in ogee arch. Font, C15, hexagonal bowl and stem on double stepped base. Bowl carved with heraldic devices. Inscription. One of the columns in the nave arcade is carved with a C14 inscription. VCH (Cambs), Vol.IV, p.229. Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.475.

Listing NGR: TF4270716472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 475
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 229

National Grid Reference: TF 42707 16472

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 04:07:33.