List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1124253

Location

THE ALMSHOUSES, 1-6, THE AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityWorminghall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42531

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 60 NW WORMINGHALL THE AVENUE

7/150 Nos. 1-6 (consec.), The Almshouses (formerly listed as Almshouses). 25.10.51

- II*

Set of 6 almshouses, formerly 10. Dated 1675 on plaques. Founded by John King for 6 men and 4 women. Thin brick in Flemish bond, with semi-dressed chamfered stone plinth, chamfered stone quoins and coved stone eaves. Hipped old tile roofs, 6 brick chimneys rebuilt C20. H-plan with central passage. 2 storeys. Central bar of 2 bays, each side wing projecting 2 bays to front and rear. N.E. side has 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows with C20 metal casements. S.W. front is similar but with 4-light windows to centre bays. Some windows totally restored C20; blind windows to ends of side wings. Central passage and doors to centre of each wing have chamfered stone frames. Above passage entrances on each side are inscription plaques in carved stone cartouches with coats of arms above. N.W. and S.E. sides have 4-light windows to outer bays and 4 2-light windows to centre, all restored C20. RCHM I p. 325-6 Mon. 6.

Listing NGR: SP6411908428

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South - Date: 1912 - Page References: 325-6

National Grid Reference: SP 64119 08428

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 01:05:09.