List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1122650

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH BROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TraffordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212815

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

SJ 78 NE BOWDON PARK ROAD (South-east side)

7/58 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

G.V. II*

The address shall be amended to read: CHURCH BROW (South-east side) Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

------------------------------------

SJ 78 NE BOWDON PARK ROAD (south-east side)

7/58 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin G.V. II*

Church. 1858-60. W.H.Brakspear. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower, north and south porches, transepts, chancel, vestry and Stamford chapel. 5-bay aisles have transomed 5-light C16 style square-headed windows, weathered buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, (missing on north) castellations and porch in western bay. Clerestory has 3-light traceried square headed openings and castellations. 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, ornate clock faces, 4-light belfry openings, gargoyles, enriched band and castellations. The transepts and 3-bay chancel have set back buttresses, 5- light windows and bold corner pinnacles, otherwise treatment is similar. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade with octagonal columns and moulded capitals. Double-chamfered chancel arch and tower arch with traceried screen and bell ringers' gallery. The wide aisles re-use early C16 roofs of a predecessor church and have elaborate gilded and painted bosses. The nave roof is of an ornate hammer beam construction, the chancel and transepts have arch-braced trusses, those in the chancel being elaborately painted. Monuments include Baguley monument, C14; Brereton monument with 2 recumbent effigies and canopy, C17; Henry Booth and Mary Warrington monument, a sarcophagus with seated figures in front of long inscription and open pediment, 1734 by Carpenter; Booth monument with sarcophagus, obelisk, cherubs medallions and segmental pediment on Ionic columns also by Carpenter 1735; and Ninth Earl of Stamford wall plaque, Neo- Wren of 1910 and other wall monuments of C17, C18 and C19. Also fragments of C8, C10 and C14 sculpture. Stained glass by Kempe and Clutterbuck and stalls and pulpit by Temple Moore c.1910.

Listing NGR: SJ7586486846

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 75864 86846

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 05:23:23.