List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1121876

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityWetheral

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77738

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WETHERAL WARWICK NY 45 NE

6/156 Church of St Leonard 1. 4. 57. IT*

Church. C12, with alterations 1869 by R.J. Withers and 1908-9 by J.H. Martindale. Dressed red sandstone walls, graduated slate roof with decorative ridge tiles and coped gables. Nave of 3 bays with porch, chancel of one bay with semicircular apse. Nave has projecting gabled porch to west with south facing entrance, dated 1908. Nave has battered plinth, with 2 light and single pointed lancets of 1869. Stone corbelled bellcote to west gable. Similar chancel windows with angle buttress having rebus of Prior Thornton of Wetheral, of early C16. Apse has 13 niches between square pilasters with rounded arches, pierced by 3 small round-headed lancets. Chancel roof carried over vestry, projecting from the north wall, dating from 1869. Interior has former tower arch, which Pevsner dates to c1130, having engaged columns of 2 orders, with scallop capitals and rounded moulded arch. Barrel vaulted plank ceiling to nave and chancel, with plastered walls. C19 font and small stone pulpit. Windows have diamond and square leaded panels of coloured glass, with aid-C19 figurature stained glass to west window and apse. Various references are made to the former tower, now demolished. This was a chapel belonging to the Priory of Wetheral and later to the Dean & Chapter of Carlisle. See Pevsner, Buildings of England, (C & W volume) p.198.

Listing NGR: NY4660056800

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, (1967), 198

National Grid Reference: NY 46600 56800

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:08:39.