List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. MARY

List entry Number: 1121827

Location

CHURCH OF ST. MARY, FRONT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityCockfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111367

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COCKFIELD FRONT STREET NZ 12 SW (South side) 9/2 (inset) Church of St. Mary

GV II*

Parish church. C13 with C19 and C20 additions on north aisle, large west extension, small east extension, and south porch. Sandstone, the medieval rubble and the modern snecked, with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roof grey Lakeland slates with graduated green slates on chancel; stone gable copings. 7-bay nave with north aisle continuous as organ chamber to chancel, and south porch; 4-bay chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Steeply-gabled porch has double boarded doors in chamfered surround with dripmould; 3 closely-set lancets to east and 3 more widely spaced modern lancets to west of porch. Lower chancel has blocked priest's door at west, with continuous impost and dripmould, and chamfered rectangular low side windows to left of door; 4 irregular lancets, the 2 eastern ones inserted. East front re-built with 3 lancets with renewed heads and irregular block surrounds. West front has paired nave lancets under vesica and gabled bellcote with paired arches; buttress between nave and aisle, which has 3 stepped lancets under gable. North aisle has door and group of 5 lancets, and low arched vault recess. Gabled vestry. Steeply-pitched roofs with stone cross finials.

Interior: rubble with ashlar dressings; plaster in chancel. Modern crown- post nave roof; panelled chancel roof. Chamfered C13 chancel arch of 2 orders with pyramid stops above and below impost string; double-chamfered arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered external face of south door with drip mould on impost string and half-octagonal shafts. Trefoil heads to lancets, the medieval with squared corners. Roll-moulded piscina with carved bowl; 2 square-headed piscinas (in south nave wall, with projecting bowl and altered in aisle wall). Octagonal medieval font on square pedestal with broach-stopped chamfers, C17 pew backs, with widely-spaced balusters, re-used as dado on west and south walls and behind lectern. Monuments include inscribed panel to Thomas and Hannah Watson, died 1713 and 1696, in corniced frame with coat of arms in scrolled pediment,to north of chancel arch; medieval effigy and incised grave covers in chancel; 6 other medieval grave slabs set in north aisle and in south porch. High quality rood screen is memorial to 2nd Lieut. H.W. Summerson, died 1918; low-relief panel of kneeling soldier; Gothic tracery.

Listing NGR: NZ1290324244

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 12903 24244

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 05:38:21.