List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1121673

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, A66

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityRokeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66 (North side)

6/123 Church of St Mary

12.1.67 II

the entry shall be amended to read as follows:-

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66 (North side)

6/123 Church of St Mary

12.1.67 II*(Star)

------------------------------------

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66 (North side)

6/123 Church of St. Mary

12.1.67 II

Parish Church. Consecrated 1778, probably designed by Sir Thomas Robinson, chancel and organ chamber added 1877. Squared stone with ashlar plinth, wall face to sill band, porch and bellcote; chancel rough-faced-stone with ashlar dressings. Graduated stone slate nave roof, graduated Lakeland slates on C19 parts. Aisleless 3-bay nave with west porch; narrower chancel with south organ chamber and vestry. Liturgical west end faces south. C18 parts in Classical style; C19 parts in a hybrid classical/Romanesque.

Central west porch with 5 steps up to panelled double doors under 3-pane fanlight in round arch on moulded imposts; paterae in spandrels, and pediment. Flanking blind round-arched windows. Block cornice below pedimented gable with blind oculus. Bellcote with round arch, pediment and Greek finial cross. Side walls of nave have 3 plain arched windows with later glazing; similar cornice.

Chancel and organ chamber/vestry over basements; sill and impost bands, round- arched windows, 3 stepped in the east end, pedimented gables. Chancel undercroft has segmental-arched entrance at east end and round-headed slit windows.

Interior: Groin-vaulted porch; panelled double doors to nave under an arched 3-pane fanlight in raised panel with moulded impost band and cornice. Panelled-round chancel arch on paired consoles, round arch to organ chamber; moulded sill band. King-post roofs. Free-standing font by Mason: mahogany, fluted bowl on slender tripod base. Marble mural tablets in nave: Sir Septimus Robinson d.1777, by Nollekens; John Sawrey Morritt d.l79l by Westmacott; J.B.S. Morritt d.1843 and W.J.S. Morritt d.1878.

Historical note: The church is very similar to Robinson's church at Glynde in Sussex; it was unfurnished when Robinson sold the Rokeby estate in 1769, when J.S. Morritt commissioned John Carr to complete the work.

Listing NGR: NZ0725713808

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 07257 13808

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:37:32.