List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAGISTRATES COURT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1121492

Location

MAGISTRATES COURT HOUSE, WEST END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthoritySedgefield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112176

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 3528 SEDGEFIELD WEST END (West side)

13/60 Magistrate's Court House 29/4/52 (previously listed as "Manor House")

GV II*

Magistrate's Court House, formerly (and shown on OS map as) the Manor House. Dated 1707 (on wall sundial above central first-floor window); C19 alterations. Narrow red brick front and rear in English garden wall bond, with ashlar flush quoins, on rubble basement; rubble returns. Renewed pantiled roof with brick chimneys. Double-pile plan with central staircase to rear. Symmetrical front of 3 storeys plus basement, 5 bays. Four C20 steps to central, Cl9 part-glazed door and tall margined overlight in linked architraves with pulvinated frieze and segmental pediment above. Basement has 8-pane horizontal sliding sashes. Replaced sashes under gauged brick flat arches: 12-pane to ground and first floors; 16-pane above; ground-floor openings enlarged. Replaced dentilled eaves cornice of wood. Steeply-pitched, 2-span roof has raised verges, shaped kneelers and 2 end chimneys. Left return has ornamented, double rainwater head. Symmetrical rear, similar to front, has replaced 12- and 16-pane sashes, a reinstated early C18 2-panel door to left of centre and an early Cl9 central, mid-wall Venetian stair window.

Interior: 2 rooms (one on ground and one on first floor) with remnants of 2-panel panelling and cornices; several 2-panel doors in bolection-moulded surrounds. Spacious, 3-flight open-well staircase with landing rail has dog gate, at head of first flight, with wavy splat balusters; square newels; moulded, closed string with barley-sugar balusters supporting a heavy moulded handrail which is ramped at each turn. Staircase hall has wall string and ramped dado with bolection-moulded panels. Palladian-motif stair window has detached Roman Doric columns and entablature. Symmetrical, upper stair hall has five 2-panel doors in bolection moulded-surrounds.

C20 brick building, attached to left of entrance front, not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ3546028805

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 35457 28806

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:03:25.