List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TUDHOE HALL FARM AND TUDHOE HALL

List entry Number: 1121440

Location

TUDHOE HALL FARM AND TUDHOE HALL, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthoritySpennymoor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112254

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 23 NE SPENNYMOOR THE GREEN (South side) Tudhoe Village

2/48 (inset) Nos. 22 and 24 30/3/51 (Tudhoe Hall Farm and Tudhoe Hall) GV II*

House, later subdivided into 3, now 2 separate houses. Early C17, probably incorporating earlier fabric, with late C17 and early C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Tudhoe Hall being restored at time of survey. Thinly-rendered sandstone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. T-plan with east addition. Elevation to garden 2 storeys, 6 bays. Half-glazed door, under flat stone lintel, at left of third bay; similar lintels over C20 windows in first bay and on first floor in second bay, and to sashes with glazing bars in other bays, some late C19, some with 6 over 9 panes and one with 12 panes. Blocked stone-mullioned 2-light window high in ground floor of second bay. Roof has gable copings at ends and centre, the west end at left with plain kneeler, the others with cyma-moulded kneelers. Ridge chimneys at centre and at right end. Left return shows corners extended to align with external stack, and the whole raised in early C18. Old wood lintels on each floor flank stack; openings beneath are blocked, and of unknown function. Rear elevation shows gabled porch to No. 22 at east; long rear wing of No. 24 in second bay from west. Irregular fenestration to No. 22 includes small 8-pane sash lighting stair and old brick blocking to first-floor window in bay adjacent to wing. No. 24 has chamfered stone- mullioned windows, some renewed, in wing and in westernmost bay.

Rear wing raised and extended probably early C18; small 2-light stone-mullioned stair windows, one with mullions removed, adjacent to main range; larger chamfered mullioned 2- and 3-light windows, renewed; old boarded door with eroded deeply-moulded surround and high corniced top panel, on east next to stair bay; plainer door on west giving access to stairs is probably a C19 insertion. Stone-mullioned 2-light cellar window to left of this door. Small chamfered windows in gable peak flank massive stepped external chimney stack on end of rear wing. All gable copings at rear rest on cyma-moulded kneelers.

Interior: west bay of main range and all rear wing are No. 24. In the main range ground floor a wide, stucco-decorated early C17 beam has strapwork and simple flower patterns, the background pecked; cyma-moulded cornice against this beam has been restored and copied to continue round room. Open-well closed-string stair of third quarter C17 has flat handrail with sloping sides, the top profile continuing across square panelled newels with simple pyramid drops; fat turned balusters; panelled string and handrail; panelled risers to most shallow steps; lower steps renewed. Balusters oak, other parts softwood. Ground-floor room in rear wing has cyma-stop-chamfered joists and beams; fire beam to altered fireplace with recess at one side probably former cupboard. Room above has flat-arched wide brick lintel to fireplace inserted in wider elliptical-arched stone opening with eroded stops to chamfered surround.

No. 22, entirely on front range, with 2 bays of earlier build and the whole second build, has early C19 dogleg stair with narrow ramped handrail on stick balusters and turned newels. Many 6-panel doors; one C17 door with 8 flat panels. First-floor room in first bay of second build entirely panelled, with moulded frames which formerly held painted canvas, supposedly bearing pictures of fruit and flowers and figures, including a parson in shovel hat, hunting. Above west door of this room, in line with chimney, the panelling can be removed to reveal what is said to have been a priest's hole; a recusant family lived here in the C17.

Roof of main range has elbowed upper-cruck trusses with short saddles and altered ridge; 2 levels of tusked purlins. West truss truncated and replaced with A-truss, of which details not clearly seen. One cruck protrudes into wing stair well, suggesting stair is an insertion contemporary with other alterations to rear wing. Roof of rear wing also has elbowed crucks, with 2 levels of trenched tusked purlins; carpenters' marks incised, medium size, with X and V prefixed for each level of purlins.

Historical note: said to have been the home of the Gubyons, of which Hugh in 1279 was Lord of Tudhoe, and was also Sheriff and Keeper of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Source: H.C. Surtees, The History of the Parishes of Tudhoe and Sunnybrow, (Mainsforth), 1925.

Listing NGR: NZ2584435636

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Surtees, H C , The History of the Parishes of Tudhoe and Sunnybrow, (1925)

National Grid Reference: NZ 25844 35636

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:43:40.