List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MIDDRIDGE GRANGE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1121214

Location

MIDDRIDGE GRANGE FARMHOUSE, SHILDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DarlingtonUnitary AuthorityHeighington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jul-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 22 SW HEIGHINGTON SHILDON ROAD (East side, off) 2/58 Middridge Grange 6/6/52 Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Middridge Grange) GV II* Large farmhouse. Circa 1600 with alterations and additions of c.1690, c.1720, c.1850 and c.1897. Partly-rendered coursed sandstone rubble. Welsh slate and pantiled roofs, the latter with stone-flagged eaves. Rebuilt brick chimney stacks. U-plan with centre filled by c.1720 range; left cross-wing demolished c. 1850; rear additions c.1897. Now a double-range plan. Two-gabled entrance front 2 storeys plus attics: c.1720 2-bay left part and c.1600 wing at right. Quoins at ends and junction. Central partly-glazed 6-panel door in broken-pedimented stone doorcase with eared architrave and enriched consoles. Flanking 4-pane sashes; replaced casements above, centre window in narrow architrave; blocked 2-light mullioned windows in both attics. Coped gables and shaped kneelers; off-centre roof valley to right; end stacks. 4-bay right return has flush quoins. Blocked and altered openings: original door and window jambs and fragment of hoodmould visible. Left half has late C17 cross windows under dripmoulds. Replaced windows in flush surrounds at right. Steeply-pitched roof, pantiled at left with slightly-swept flagged eaves; Welsh slates to right. End stacks. Truncated external end chimney. Mutilated left return, originally inner wall of demolished wing, has splayed first-floor window opening. Steeply-pitched pantiled roof. 2-storey, 2-bay c.1897 rear outshut. Interior: right wing contains 3 rooms with c.1720 features, including one with panelling, doors and window shutters and top entablature with pulvinated frieze. (Blocked chamfered stone doorway behind panelling). 2 upstairs rooms have similar panelling and bolection-moulded wood chimney-pieces with corniced mantels. Late C19 left rear addition is not of special interest. Historical note: The home of Colonel Anthony Byerley (died 1667) who garrisoned the house and commanded a regiment known as "Byerley's Bulldogs" in the service of Charles I during the Civil War. The farm was the home of the first Arab horse (The Byerley Turk) in Britain; from this horse and 2 others all British racing bloodstock is descended. Derelict at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NZ2447024631

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 24470 24631

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 10:58:27.