List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1120963

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, FRONT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityPelton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109397

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PELTON FRONT STREET NZ 25 SW (North side) 3/53 Church of the 15/8/85 Holy Trinity II

Parish church. 1841-2 by George Jackson. Dressed stone and purple slate roof. West tower and spire; aisleless nave and south porch; chancel and north vestry. Early English style.

West tower: square-plan lower stage, gabled on west, has pointed doorway, with colonnettes, loop and blind trefoil in gable; roof of lower stage dying into octagonal clock tower; octagonal belfry has trefoil-headed bell openings, each under a crocketed gablet; octagonal spire and finial. 4-bay nave has plinth, moulded sill band and recessed bays, between buttresses, with single lancets and corbel tables. West and east ends have clasping buttresses surmounted by octagonal turrets with spirelets: single lancets flanking tower; pierced trefoils flanking chancel roof. Shouldered south doorway within porch. Steeply-pitched roof with coped gables. Small 3-bay chancel has plinth, sill and eaves bands; 3 lancets on south; 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould on angle-buttressed east end. Steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. Gabled porch has clasping buttresses; pointed doorway with colonnettes; corbel tables on returns. 2-bay gabled vestry with boiler-house in basement; pointed east door and 2-light mullioned windows above.

Plastered interior. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels. Elaborate nave roof: 6 king-post trusses and hammerbeam truss at west end; alternate trusses have arched braces with pierced trefoils in spandrels. 1853 font with octagonal bowl on squat pier and moulded base. 1855 rood screen of carved oak with drop tracery and cresting. Stained glass: chancel east window and south window (commemorating cholera outbreak) 1849 by Wailes; nave south window (after Hunt's 'Light of the World') 1911 by Wailes and Strang; also in nave, south window 1977 by Selwyn Beattie, north window 1969 by L.C. Evetts.

Listing NGR: NZ2466453046

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 24664 53046

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 06:33:46.