List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND 2 ARCHES ATTACHED TO NORTH

List entry Number: 1120737

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND 2 ARCHES ATTACHED TO NORTH, SOUTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityWest Rainton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110036

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST RAINTON SOUTH STREET NZ 34 NW (South side) 3/45 Church of St. Mary 10/5/67 and 2 arches attached to north GV II*

Parish church and 2 arches attached. 1864 by E.R. Robson; tower added 1877 as gift of Sir George Elliot (tablet inside). Arches C17. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; Lakeland slate roof; stone spire. 4-bay aisled nave with north-west tower and south porch; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south aisle. Double cast-iron gates in 2-centred-arched surround in porch with saddle-back roof. Paired ogee-headed lights in aisles, and paired tall trefoil-headed clerestory lights under dripstring; single quatrefoil in chancel south aisle. Set-back chancel has corbel table over large 2- centred-arched south window with Decorated tracery, and larger east window in similar style; plate tracery in 2-light east window of south aisle. Similar tracery in large west window under head-stopped dripmould. Buttresses, those on south-west of clerestory and at corresponding point on south aisle with cusped gablets; bands of arcaded moulding on tall pinnacle on aisle buttress. Steeply-pitched roof, with stone cross finials, one damaged. Tower of 3 high stages has north door in surround of 3 orders, with shafts supporting zig-zag 2-centred-arches under high gabled panel; paired slender lancets with dripmoulds in second stage; paired recessed louvred belfry openings, with shafts and dripmoulds, under Lombardic frieze. Continuous bands round angle buttresses at each stage; broach spire with 4 large lucarnes.

Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced king-post nave roof with scissor-braced common rafters. Panelled chancel roof. Arcades have 2-centred arches with shallow chevron moulding, on round piers with water- leaf capitals; east responds paired shafts; narrower arch at north-west, with full-height shafts to tower; corbelled shafts define other bays of clerestory and support roof trusses. High chancel arch in similar style to arcades, with shallow trefoil decoration and inner roll-moulded arch on Frosterley 'marble' shafts. Roll-moulded clerestory sill string continues as ring round shafts. Chancel has plain arches to north chapel, vestry and south organ; north piscina. Tudor flower decoration to chancel panelling; 1905 mosaic reredos; high-quality flat-topped wood communion rail. Medieval-style tiles on chancel floor. C19 glass in chancel. South aisle windows of high quality commemorate members of Boyd family killed in First World War; C19 west windows to Rev. Joseph Tiffin died 1858. Dark red granite panel in tower commemorates gift of Sir. G. Elliot. Bart., M.P., to mark baptism of his 6 children in the church; describes tablet as part of Pyramid of Ghizeh, obtained 1876 by permission of Ismail Pasha, and erected 1891.

Arches attached: said to have come from Blackfriars, Newcastle, but of wrong period. Resited from grounds of demolished Rainton Hall (C17 home of Sir John Duck). Paired round-headed arches of C17 character have eroded stop chamfers and capitals with coarsely-fluted necking.

Listing NGR: NZ3229646884

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 32296 46884

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 05:13:40.