List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1120694

Location

12-15, THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110139

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE NZ 2742 SW (West end)

14/91 Nos. 12-15 consecutive (formerly listed as House 6.5.52 with Diocesan registry under, passage to river banks, house adjoining passage to river banks, and Bishop of Jarrow's House

GV I

3 houses, now 4 houses and offices; incorporating part of Priory Guest Hall. Medieval guest hall; late C17 rebuilding; C18 upper floor of No. 15 at right; substantial remodelling in 1808 by Atkinson of No. 12 at left; 1830 date above door of No. 14 in centre. No. 13 runs through all 3 buildings at basement level. L-plan, No. 12 projects at left and No. 14 is extruded. No. 12 (including part of No. 14 at right rear): Atkinson's Roman cement render with painted ashlar dressings; roof not visible. Nos. 14 and 15 ashlar; roofs not visible; rendered brick chimneys.

No. 12: castle style. 3 storeys, 4 windows; projecting corner turrets, the right with one window. 2-storey battlemented porch in second bay has studded door in double-chamfered Tudor-arched surround. Tudor-arched passage entry under right turret; similar heads to small ground-floor and tall first-floor windows, the latter with Perpendicular tracery; square-headed windows above doors and on top floor have Tudor-headed lights; all have dripmoulds. Eaves string; roll-moulded battlemented parapets, higher on turrets. 2 panelled chimneys. Rain-water heads with shields; lugged pipe fixings. Right return has 2 coats of arms and 3-step mounting-block.

No. 14: Gothic style. 3 storeys, one bay. Side steps, the lowest two quadrant- shaped, up to Tudor-headed studded door in deeply-chamfered surround; cusped light at left. Similar lights in oriel above door with emblems and shields on cornice; single cusped window on top floor under low gable with eaves string and roll-moulded coping. Front wall of steps has 2 small rectangular windows. Right angle buttress; coat of arms on right return, above inserted door to No.13.

No. 15: one storey, 7 bays. Wide steps up to stone terrace in front of boarded door in third bays elaborate hinges and 3-light overlight under flat stone lintel. Chamfered quoins at right end. Tall 3-light windows have wood mullions and transoms, flat stone lintels and flat stone sills; double-chamfered 2-light basement windows. Eaves band. Moulded parapet string and coping. Basement has part of medieval jamb at left with 2 shafts. Rendered brick chimneys. Square gas lamp on iron bracket at left of door. Rear elevation, high over river banks, has much medieval masonry, including principal window of No. 13 and garderobe drains of No. 14.

Interiors: tunnel-vaulted passage to river bank; at left a round-headed door to undercroft, which has round columns supporting wide chamfered ribs of quadripartite vaults. Post-Reformation above, apart from thick east-west walls. Porch has rib vault and inner Tudor-style door; central open-string stair of one flight and long landing with Gothick balustrades. First floor octagonal vestibules have Tudor- arched doors and niches. One c.1700 room has fielded panelling, corniced chimney-piece with C19 iron fire-shutters; other decoration Gothick, with Tudor chimney-pieces, book-cases, crested pelmets and panelled shutters; varied cornices.

Nos. 12 and 14 have C17 and C18 rooms behind, some panelled, one with scroll- bracketed corniced chimney-piece, architraves and cornices to corner closets, pedimented doorcase. Other rooms have Tudor-arched chimney-pieces, Gothic corbels and panelled ceilings, wide glazing bars and panelled shutters. Top room has deeply-moulded roof beams of late C16/early C17. Early C19 Gothick doors from stairs to all rooms. No. 15 has early C18 stucco ceiling in one room and rococo decoration in another; C18 chimney-pieces and panelled door reveals. No. 13 has much medieval masonry, with rebated and chamfered 2-centred arched door at north; 2-centred and shouldered arches elsewhere; stone corbels supporting massive chamfered beams; red paint on stone and wood. Garderobe closet. Massive stone lintel over former kitchen fire, with spit machinery bearing founder's name W. Moore. Bolection-moulded panelling and deeply-moulded stucco cornice in bedroom.

Listing NGR: NZ2725842042

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27266 42040

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 06:08:37.