List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1120656

Location

16 AND 16A, THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110149

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE NZ 2742 SW (North side)

14/100 Nos. 16 and 16A (formerly listed as 6.5.52 house on the site of the Chamberlain's Exchequer)

GV II*

Chamberlain's Checker; rebuilt as prebendary house, now 2 separate houses. Medieval with C17 and C18 alterations. Sandstone rubble with ashlar plinth and dressings; ashlar early C18 arcade; brick rear; roofs of stone flags, Lakeland slate and Welsh slate, with brick chimneys, some rendered. 2 cross wings flank main block with arcaded ground floor: 2 storeys, 2, 3 and one bays. No. 16A at left has entrance in left return; gable to front has ground-floor horizontal sliding sashes with broad glazing bars, painted projecting stone sills and flat stone lintels; first-floor sashes with glazing bars have similar sills and lintels. Central part has blocked arcade, with round-headed windows and impost string, under first floor band; ashlar continues up to first floor sill band of 3 large sashes with glazing bars under flat stone lintels. Right wing has internal steps up to 8-pane door in stone architrave under coat-of-arms of Bishop Egerton (1771-87). Curved sash with glazing bars above is recessed obliquely in opening with flat stone lintel and projecting stone sill. Slit in gable peak above. 2-storey bow in left return of wing. Steeply-pitched rooofs. Stone-coped parapet on right return of left wing; tall polygonal chimney on left wing and to rear of central ridge.

Interior: No. 16A has wide Tudor-arched chimney with stop-chamfered moulding; spit machinery above; beam with tongue-stopped chamfer; rear kitchen doorway with shouldered lintel; panelled room with shutters; chimney piece with panelled fascia and dentilled cornice. No. 16 has early C18 closed-string stair with flat handrail on skittle balusters, square newels with pendants and panelled dado. Central first-floor room of double cube shape has dado, end apse, corniced chimney piece with fluted fascia, stucco ceiling cornice and central acanthus roundel with encircling enriched moulding. Panelled rooms and other C18 chimney pieces. Dado wainscoting in rear service passage on ground floor. First floor room in right cross wing has symmetrically-placed apse containing bowed window which appears oblique from outside.

Listing NGR: NZ2739742038

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27390 42036

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:55:32.