List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROOK MILL ATTACHED RAILINGS OUTBUILDINGS AND PERIMETER WALL WITH GATEPIER BROOK MILL, ATTACHED RAILINGS, OUTBUILDINGS AND PERIMETER WALL WITH GATEPIER.

List entry Number: 1119729

Location

BROOK MILL ATTACHED RAILINGS OUTBUILDINGS AND PERIMETER WALL WITH GATEPIER, BROOKSIDE ROAD
BROOK MILL ATTACHED RAILINGS OUTBUILDINGS AND PERIMETER WALL WITH GATEPIER, STONEHOUSE GREEN
BROOK MILL, ATTACHED RAILINGS, OUTBUILDINGS AND PERIMETER WALL WITH GATEPIER., MOUNTBATTEN WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityCongleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-May-1997

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469251

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 8563 CONGLETON MOUNTBATTEN WAY (North-west side) 702/2/10024 Brook Mill and attached railings and yard wall

II

Includes: Brook Mill and attached railings and yard wall, BROOKSIDE ROAD Includes: Brook Mill and attached railings and yard wall, STONEHOUSE GREEN Silk throwing and weaving mills, water- and later steam-powered; silk spinning mills from 1835, now factory. 1785-early C19, extended 1835. Brick with stone foundation courses, and slate roofs. PLAN: irregular layout of the two original4-storey mills following the water course, and the 1835 five-storey weaving mill at an angle at the E end, with ancillary buildings in the yard to the S. EXTERIOR: 4-storeys; 4:9:9-window range, with 1835 5-storey; 8-window E range. Earlier mills lower and narrower with stone lintels; narrower Wend section of 4 windows with a 1- 'window stair tower at the end; wider mill to the W has a lavatory tower in the angle on the S side; the two earlier mills canted at a slight angle to one another. 1835 mill has dated rainwater hoppers, a parapet and coped gables, and rubbed brick flat arches; the 4-window W gable has a left-hand half-round dry shute privy tower with small openings to each floor and an open ashlar base for removal of the soil; formerly with a round stair tower attached to the E gable adjoining the earlier mill, now demolished. INTERIOR: earlier mills have timber cross beams and king and queen post roofs, the 1835 mill has 2 rows of cast-iron columns to box beam floors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron spear-headed railings to the wall bordering the stream on the N side; former yard wall with ashlar base extends from the Wend along the stream and returns to the S. HISTORY: originally built for throwing and weaving silk, by 1821 both water and steam were used as complementary power systems, both by day and only water by night. The 1835 mill was for powered weaving; the privy shute is a particularly good example of the improvements in mill worker amenities. The whole site was converted for silk spinning in 1835. The various processes of silk dressing and spinning were carried out on the ground floors, with weaving on those above. This is the largest surviving complex of silk mills in Congleton, and the only remaining example in the region of a works used for silk spinning. This is a site of considerable historical interest at the centre of the local textile industry, illustrating the modest water power sites which silk mills could exploit, and the increase in scale of late C18 to mid C19 mills. Bibliography: (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England), East Cheshire Textile Mills (Anthony Calladine and Jean Fricker et al), 1993, Page(s) 83,86.





Listing NGR: SJ8586163168

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Calladine, A, Fricker, J et al, East Cheshire Textile Mills, (1993), 83,86.

National Grid Reference: SJ 85861 63168

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:05:58.