List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1119626

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityStanwix Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77658

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWIX RURAL HOUGHTON NY 45 NW

5/77 Church of St John

II

Church. 1840-42, built as copy of Stanwix Church, Carlisle. Snecked ashlar yellow sandstone, from Chalk Quarry, Dalston, slate roof. 3 storeys east tower with 4 bay nave-chancel. Tower has pointed entrance arch with hood mould: similar windows in bell chamber, with Y-tracery and louvred slats: diagonal buttresses at angles with corner pinnacles and corbelled and castellated parapet. Clock above entrance is of 1901. Pointed arch windows and hood moulds to nave: diagonal buttresses at angles, with corner pinnacles and cross as gable pinnacle. Interior renovated 1901 by C.J. Ferguson: pine pews, carved oak pulpit and lectern, pitch-pine panelled ceiling. Red cement floor with chancel floor of black and white marble. Font of carved Caen stone, with red marble pillars of 1898. Windows of Moorish pattern, in plain leaded glass by Cleator & Sons, London, 1897. Not an ancient site.

Listing NGR: NY4082659796

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 40826 59796

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:51:43.