List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LINSTOCK CASTLE

List entry Number: 1119608

Location

LINSTOCK CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityStanwix Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWIX RURAL LINSTOCK NY 45 NW

5/79 Linstock Castle 1. 4.57. II*

Farmhouse, formerly tower house. C12 or early C13 as palace for the Bishops of Carlisle, with C17-C20 additions and alterations. Tower has large blocks of red sandstone, mostly from Roman Wall nearby, for walls 2 metres thick; slate gabled roof. 3 storeys, one bay, tower. entrance to ground floor, has chamfered rounded arch with continuous hood-mould hidden by ivy: above left is original first-floor entrance with rounded arch, now filled. Windows inserted 1768 with plain freestone surrounds, sashes with glazing bars, C19 plank door. East face has 2 round-headed lancets and one flat-headed chamfered lancet, now all filled. Ground floor chamfered lancet to west face. C20 steel casement in north face. Interior has pointed arch vaulting to ground floor without stairs: first-floor room connected to 2 second-floor rooms by stair in thickness of the wall. Walls originally higher and flat roof, reduced and gabled 1768. Extension at right angles of 2 storeys, 2 bays has sandstone rubble walls partly covered by render, is probably early C17 incorporating parts of an earlier out building. Two C17 chamfered mullion windows with mixed C19 and C20 sashes, with with single glazing bars and steel casements. Further one bay early C19 extension of brick under same roof with C20 kitchen extension of single storey, 2 bays to side. Close to the castle are the remains of the encircling moat. Used as Bishops Palace c1219-early C14, then as prison and refuge for villagers in border raids. For 6 days in March 1307, Edward I, his Queen and Court were entertained here, whilst Parliament was held in Carlisle. See, Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p. 298-9.

Listing NGR: NY4289758484

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 298-9

National Grid Reference: NY 42897 58484

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 06:57:04.