List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARTWELL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1118471

Location

HARTWELL HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityStone with Bishopstone and Hartwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42659

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SE HARTWELL HARTWELL

3/89 Hartwell House

25.10.51

GV I

Country house. Early C17 altered and extended C18, including work by Henry Keene. Ashlar stone, reroofed in Westmoreland slate after fire c.1960 with modern dormers, stone chimneys, parapet with stone urns, balustraded to S. front: moulded cornice, modillion brackets to S. front. front. 2-storeys and attic, with mezzanine in West wing. 1st floor band to E. and S. fronts. North elevation is jacobean, faced in stone in C18. 7 bays with stone mullioned and transomed windows, those to the outer projecting bays large bowed oriels with moulded corbels. Projecting central 2-storey porch with semicircular arched doorway flanked by pilasters, bowed oriel above with richly carved corbel bracket. 2-storey canted bay window each side. East elevation mid C18, by Keene. 5 bays of sash windows with stone architrave surrounds, 2-storey canted bays each end with pedimented central upper windows, central open doric porch, pedimented window above. South elevation C18, 11 bays of sash windows, projecting wings each side with 2-storey canted bay windows, with pedimented central upper window. 3 central bays slightly projecting, ground floor central door and flanking windows semicircular arched and set within blank arches. Pedimented central 1st floor window with semicircular headed niche either side, cornice heads to outer windows. West elevation rubble stone with C17 mullioned and transomed windows, C18 tuscan colonnaded service entrance to ground floor. Interior N. porch has stone carved coat of arms of Sir Anthony Lee, early C18 inner doorcase and door. Great Hall remodelled in C18 with ornamental plaster wall panels having shouldered corners, swags over and birds in relief in centre. Chimneypiece with flanking herons scrolls and overmantel with panel of Apollo. Ceiling has central panel of lady drawing classical ruins and man with bulls head. Doorcases with oakleaf friezes, shouldered architraves. Breakfast Room panelled C20 with old material, C17 carved chimneygiece and overmantel. Grand Staircase C17 lower flight turned through 90 C20. Closed string, square newels with strapwork carving, moulded handrail balusters carved as grotesque forms. Large carved figures to newels representing mythological characters. East wing all with C18 highly carved ornamental window and doorcases, skirtings, chair rails, modilhon cornices etc. Drawing Room very fine decorative plaster ceiling, carved marble chimneypiece. Dining Room white marble-caryatid chimneypiece. Library Marble chimneypiece with rococo ornament to overmantel. Original book cases, one with broken pediment, carved brackets and swags. Vestibule semicircular hall rising up to roof with doric aedicules, 3 arches to N. wall, band with scroll ornament, balustrades to 2 landsings, heavily fluted half-domed ceiling, radiating pattern to floor. Mezzanine Room in west wing has painted carved Jacobean overmantle and carved panelling with heads. Long Gallery has dentil cornice and stone chimneypiece. Some other C17 features in W. wing. 1st floor otherwise plain, attic storey entirely C20 replacement after fire. History. Between 1809 and 1813 Hartwell was the seat of the French Court and Government in exile, the residence of King Louis XVIII.

Listing NGR: SP7960112451

Selected Sources

Other
Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 79601 12451

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 09:07:57.