List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CULHAM COURT

List entry Number: 1118167

Location

CULHAM COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WokinghamUnitary AuthorityRemenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41327

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARGRAVE CULHAM SU 78 SE 1/35 Culham Court 1.8.52 II* Large country house in landscaped park overlooking. River Thames. 1771, built for Robert Mitchell. Brick, stone string over plinth, stone string at ground floor cill level, moulded and bracketted cornice, brick parpaet with stone coping, mansard slate roof dormers and several chimneys. 2 storeys attics and basement. Entrance front:5 bays of which the centre 3 project slightly with pediment, and bull's eye window in tympanum. Sash windows 3 panes high on first floor, 4 panes high on ground floor, except the right hand upper in projection which is 5 panes high; half glazed central door in stone Tuscan Palladian surround, approached by 5 moulded stone steps flanked by dwarf walls with stone coping and stone blocks as stops. North-west and south-east:fronts have 5 bays each, the north west has 3 dormer windows. River front: 5 bays similar to south west front except for windows which have stone architraves, the outer ground floor windows have cornice and pediment: the 3 centre ground floor windows are tall, the outer 5 panes high with cornice, the centre a French casement with cornice and pediment. Interior: is coeval except for some fireplaces. The saloon in centre of north east front has an enriched plaster ceiling, the dining room has a wrought iron scroll balustrade with moulded mahogany handrail. The first floor corridor is divided into squares by slender pilasters supporting flat quadripartite vaulting. George III with the queen and princesses visited house in 1804. V.C.H. Vo.III. p.192.

Listing NGR: SU7892983800

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 192

National Grid Reference: SU 78929 83800

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 04:14:02.