List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1118131

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WokinghamUnitary AuthorityShinfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41448

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHINFIELD CHURCH LANE (north east side) SU 76 NW 8/9 CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN 26.1.67 G.V. I

Parish Church. Late C12, rebuilt C14, altered and extended C15, tower added C17. The whole church restored in 1857 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Flint, stone, part roughcast; brick west tower, tiled gabled roof. 4 bay nave, chancel, south chapel built 1596, south aisle with 4 bay arcade rebuilt 1857, and west tower rebuilt C1630. Gabled porch entry on north side added C19 over a late C12 doorway with 2 semi-circular hollow chamfered orders; the jambs of the outer are shafted, and those of the inner order moulded with a small roll. Buttressed walls to nave, angle buttresses of 2 offsets at north and south east angles of the chancel. The windows belong to different periods; there are 2 early C14 windows surviving on the north wall of the chancel, the eastern one of 2 acutely pointed cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoiled spandrel and a 2-centred head. The western window is also of 2 cinquefoiled lights with flamboyant tracery within a similar head. On the south wall of the chancel is a C19 window copied from the corresponding wall in the north wall. The east window of the C16 south chapel is of 3 pointed lights, uncusped, their mullions being carried up into a 2-centred containing head; on the north side of this is a C19 doorway with a 4-centred head: The south window is square headed and of 3 plain transomed lights, and high up in the gable of the east wall is a stone panel, inscribed 1596 E M. The walls of the chapel are roughcast. The nave has 3 north windows; the easternmost similar to the easternmost in the north wall of the chancel, the other 2 are late C15 of 3 cinquefoiled lights within square heads; the late C12 doorway is between these. On the south wall of the south aisle are 3 windows, the easternmost similar to the corresponding window in the north wall of the nave but much restored. The other 2 windows are late C15, each of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery within a square head. The west tower is brick and of 3 stages with brick and stone plinth, decorative raised brick strings at each stage, embattled parapet and angled octagonal buttresses up to third stage. The west doorway has a simi-circular head with a projecting brick key, and is surmounted by a moulded brick entablature, supported by header corbels of brick. Above the doorway is a window of 5-lights within a square head, the string course is broken upwards over this window to form a label The ringing chamber is lighted on the north and south by square headed windows of 2 plain lights with 2-centred heads, and flat brick mullions. The belfry is lighted on all 4 faces by similar 2-light windows; the walls of this stage are slightly recessed in the centre of each face. Interior: The nave roof is late C14 and is supported by 4 trusses with large timbers of plain crownposts braced twice to the collar purlins, the collars and heavily cambered tie beams are supported by wall posts and short curved braces resting on stone corbels. The crown posts are strutted at their feet on the tie beams by unusually large curved braces. The C17 roof to the aisle is a double butt purlin roof complete with large windbraces at both levels, supported by rough queen post trusses. There is a scissor brace truss the second form the east which is probably early C15. The C16 roof of the south chapel has a pentagonal wooden ceiling, with moulded ribs, and carved bosses at their intersections. A large Jacobean chest with 3 locks is preserved in the south aisle. Monuments: On the west wall of the nave is a Purbeck marble tablet, sculptured with a shield of 12 quarters, an inscription on a scroll beneath and below this is a broken sword with the date 1576 on the hilt. On the west wall of the south aisle is an elaborate mural marble monument to Edward Martin, died 1604 and his wife Mary who died 1607. He was probably the builder of the south chapel, the initials corresponding with those on the tablet, described earlier, on the east gable. The monument is framed by Corinthian columns supporting an entablature, surmounted by a shield. The figures are of alabaster and are kneeling in prayer, that of Edward Martin is missing, those of his wife and daughter remain. On the north wall of the nave is a marble tablet sculptured with a shield to Henry Beke, died 1580. Above the arms is a crested helm, below are 2 smaller shields with an inscription below these. On the south wall of the south aisle is a very elaborate marble and alabaster monument to Henry Beke. On a projecting base are the kneeling figures of himself, his wife and daughter. 2 female figures support an entablature, surmounted in the centre by a pedimented structure on which is a sculptured shield of his arms with a crested helm. The entablature is broken forward over the heads of the supporting figures, and crowned by small obelisks standing on pedestals. A black marble panel on the base contains a description with the date Ano Dni : 1627. V.C.H. Vol.3 p.264. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.215.

Listing NGR: SU7297868198

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 215
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1906 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 264

National Grid Reference: SU 72973 68198

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 04:29:34.