List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1117970

Location

THE MUSEUM, 9, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityAylesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41857

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 799 CHURCH STREET (North-East Side) No 9 (The Museum) SP 8113 NE 1/22 7.4.52.

II* GV

2. An early structure refaced in the first quarter of the C18. Formerly the Grammar School. Dated 1719 on rainwater heads. Two storeys and attic. Mainly red brick, some vitreous brick in panels. Projecting plinth with moulded capping. String courses over ground floor windows and below tall parapet. Five windows and four panels on first floor arranged in sequence from left hand - window - panel - window - panel - circular window (over door) - panel - two windows - panel. Similar arrangements on ground floor. Tall six-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of three panes and narrow side glazing, in surround of stone architrave and outer stone strips with carved console brackets supporting broken curved pediment, all of large scale. Return front to St Mary's Square - similar general treatment with slightly flanking projections each with two windows. The central part has - two outer circular panels, two segmental-headed niches with moulded stone cills and square blocked window in centre on first floor. Four tall segmental-headed four-light mullioned and transomed windows on ground floor, (apparently modern) and very tall eight-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of eight panes and stone surround of same design as Church Street entrance. Small niche above pediment of vitreous brick. The panels to upper part of front of vitreous brick. Range of six gabled dormers. Contemporary cast lead rainwater heads of rectangular shape with date 1719 on this front, and similar pattern undated on other front. Interior considerably altered, but two contemporary stairs remain, and stair, doors etc in Church House (part of the same building) formerly Headmaster's House. See Gibbs' History of Aylesbury, VCH Bucks.

Nos 7 and 7A with Railings and Coach House and No 9 form a group.

Listing NGR: SP8176413861

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gibbs, R, History of Aylesbury, (1885)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908)

National Grid Reference: SP 81764 13861

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:32:27.