List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1117908

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, LEIGHTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityEdlesborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42010

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 91 NE EDLESBOROUGH LEIGHTON ROAD

5/29 Church of St. Mary

18.10.66 - I

Parish church. C13 nave and aisles with later C13 chancel, C14 windows and W. tower, C15 clerestory, N. chapel and porches. Restored after fire of 1828 and later. Tower and chancel are of worn ashlar, part rendered, with nave and aisles of dressed stone and flint. Some repairs in brick. Battlemented parapets, C20 to chancel. Lead roofs. W. tower is of 2 stages with angle buttresses and octagonal stair turret to S.W. corner. Paired 2-light traceried windows to bell-chamber, and cusped lancet to W. side. N. and S. sides also have small intermediate buttresses. Nave has 4-bay clerestory of 2-light traceried windows, the tracery renewed C20. 3 similar windows to S. aisle which also has double chamfered doorway with 2- centred arch, and 2-light cusped window with flat head to E. S. porch has similar arch and plain parapet. Projection for rood-loft stairs in angle with chancel has small quatrefoil light. N. aisle is similar but has C15 window of 3 transomed and cusped lights in segmental head to N. of E. bay, and small light with 4-centred head in W. bay. N. porch has 4 cusped lights to each side. 5-light cusped window with 4-centred head to N. of N. chapel. Chancel has 2 windows with restored geometric tracery, 2-light to N., large 5-light window to E. S. side has 3 Perpendicular windows of 3 cusped lights with 4-centred heads, and small arched door. Interior: triple-chamfered tower arch on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps. Nave has 4-bay arcades of double chamfered arches on similar piers, the piers between W. bays with plain pilasters to sides. Traces of another arcaded bay to W. Spandrels have C19 paintings of angels, with Christ in Glory over chancel arch. S. wall of nave has 4-centred arch to rood-loft. Aisle bays are divided by moulded stone arches. N. aisle also has small recess in W. wall, blocked cusped niche in N. wall, and double chamfered arch to N. chapel, now vestry. S. aisle has blocked 4-centred arch to W., ogee piscina, tall narrow ogee niche to right of E. window, and remains of rood-loft stairs. Wide 2-centred moulded arch to chancel, another between chancel and vestry. Interior of N. and E. chancel windows have moulded arches on slender shafts. Trefoil-headed piscina, partly cusped. Sedile with 4-centred arch. Fine C15 roofs throughout, with moulded beams. Nave roof has braced tie beams on castellated corbels, chancel roof also braced with traceried spandrels on carved head corbels. Very fine C15 fittings include: octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panels, the cover renewed but retaining C15 carved wooden finial; splendid octagonal wooden pulpit partly restored, the side panels with small crocketted canopies, and tall sounding board with rib-vaulted soffit and upper tiers much enriched with blind tracery and finials; screen, partly restored and repainted, with open traceried panels and rood-loft on wooden fan vault to E.; choir stalls with traceried front panels and poppyhead bench ends, those against screen with carved misericords and arm-rests. Other fittings include a C17 table with turned balusters, 2 C17 chests and a C19 reredos of glazed tiles in traceried panels. Brasses to John Rufford and three wives 1540, to John Swynstede, priest, 1395, tablet to John Killingworth 1412, and brass rose, all in N. aisle. Brass to Henry Brugis and wife 1647 in slab with Ionic pilasters in N. chapel. Marble wall tablet to Margaret Bayley and Margaret Theed 1700-1, with cornice, urn and swags, and cherub heads to base.

RCHM II p.106-109.

Listing NGR: SP9700119062

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North - Date: 1913 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 106-109

National Grid Reference: SP 97004 19061

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 08:52:00.