List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1117874

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityIvinghoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 91 NW IVINGHOE CHURCH ROAD

4/49 Church of St. Mary

18.10.66

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1230 cruciform church with central tower rebuilt and aisles widened C14, and C15 alterations and W. porch. All much restored 1871 by G.E. Street who also built N. and S. porches. Flint with Totternhoe stone dressings, lead roofs. Plain parapets to aisles, remainder embattled. Nave has 5-bay clerestory of 3-light Perpendicular windows, and earlier 3-light traceried window to W. C13 W. doorway with finely moulded arch on shafts with stiff leaf capitals. W. porch has moulded 4-centred arch with quatrefoil spandrels, hoodmould and C19 coat-of-arms, and a vaulted roof on moulded stone tie ribs. Aisles have Decorated windows, 2-light in W. bay, 3-light in E. bay, and central moulded doorways with ballflower ornament, the N. doormedieval. Central tower has small lead spire, stair turret at N.W. corner, and 2 stages above the nave, the lower with irregular round windows and lancets, the upper with 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber. Transepts have angle buttresses, pairs of tall lancets with later tracery to E., large 3-light traceried windows to N. and S., and 2-light traceried windows to W. with C14 sexfoil round windows above. N. transept also has W door. Chancel has 2 blocked lancets and a 3-light Perpendicular window to N., 2 similar Perpendicular windows and small blocked door to S., and 4-light Perpendicular E. window. Tablets above E. window are dated 1260 and 1745. Interior: C13 5-bay nave arcade of double hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with stiff-leaf capitals, traces of C13 round clerestory windows above. Double chamfered arches between aisles and transepts. Triple chamfered arches to all sides of tower, on chamfered piers with moulded capitals. Transepts have cusped piscinae, chancel has recess in N. wall with cusped 4-centred arch and C19 carved head stops, now containing C15 stone effigy of priest. Very fine C15 roofs,restored,with moulded beams and braced tie beams on stone corbels with carved heads. Intermediate principal rafters have carved wooden angels with outspread wings at base. Nave roof also has braces with carved figures of apostles, and E. bay enriched with restored carved foliage bosses. Fittings: 28 C15 bench ends with poppyheads variously carved with faces or figures; C15 lecturn on hexagonal stem with moulded and stepped base; early C17 pulpit with elaborate panels, ornate sounding board and relief of Resurrection on rear panel; late C17 chair; C19 font and glass; carved marble reredos of Last Supper, now in S. transept, in memory of Christopher and Charlotte Buckmaster 1896. Monuments: several C16 brasses in chancel, including those to Richard Blackhed and wife 1517, William Duncombe 1576, and John and Alice Duncombe 1594; N. wall of chancel has marble wall tablet to Henry Cooley of Seabrooke 1714, with scrolled pilasters, cherub-head base, and cornice with flaming urns flanking coat-of-arms; similar tablet in S. transept to Deborah Neale, 1714, with scrolled urns. RCHM II p, 154-157.

Listing NGR: SP9455016174

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 94553 16177

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 03:21:51.