List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1117838

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityFleet Marston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 NE FLEET MARSTON

5/5 Church of St. Mary

21.12.67

- II*

Redundant parish church. C12 and C13 nave and chancel, altered C14 and C15, restored 1868-9. Coursed rubble stone with chamfered plinth and diagonal off-set buttresses, old tile roofs. N. side of nave has slight projection at W. end, a large single light window, mostly C19, and a restored C15 2-light window with tracery. Central door in 2-centred chamfered arch and rebuilt porch, the porch retaining an old cusped light to each side. To S. nave has 4-light cusped window with flat head. At W. end of ridge is a small square bell-cote, rendered, with a gable to each side. Chancel windows are also much restored, the N. and E. walls each having a cusped single light, the S. side having one similar window, a 2-light window with ogee tracery and flat head, and a doorway with 2-centred chamfered arch. Interior: early C14 chancel arch, slightly 4-centred and double chamfered, on semi-octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Each capital has 4 ball-flower motifs. Fine C15 roof to nave has queen posts, curved braces to collar, and curved wind-braces. Piscina basin in S. window-sill of chancel, one locker recess. Circular font with tapering basin on plain stem is probably C13, re-cut. 2 late C18 and C19 memorial tablets. RCHM I p.158-9

Listing NGR: SP7796715966

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South - Date: 1912 - Volume: 1 - Page References: 158-9

National Grid Reference: SP 77967 15966

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 05:34:46.