List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1117837

Location

MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityCreslow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42152

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 82 SW CRESLOW MANOR HOUSE

3/1

25.10.51

GV I

House. Circa 1330, altered c.1600 and mid C20. Coursed rubble limestone with a little patching in brick and Bath stone; old tile roofs. Hall range has flanking brick chimneys, each with 3 square brick shafts set diagonally, that to S. C17, that to N. C19. N. range was originally an open hall, now partitioned, with taller stair well of c.1600 set into S.W. corner, and the N. end altered and rebuilt with shallow projection to east. Taller cross wing to S. has undercroft at E. end, tower attached to S.W., and lower wing projecting S. at E. end. C20 single storey infill between this wing and tower. Hall range is now mostly of one storey and an attic and has tall steeply-pitched roof broken by stairwell of 2½ storeys with restored crow-stepped gable to front. 3 bays. Left bay has C20 3-light casement with moulded 4-centred arch in first floor gable and wide C16-C17 studded door with 15 panels and restored moulded frame in lean-to porch. Centre bay has C20 3-light casement in shallow lean-to, and 4-light casement in gabled dormer; stair-well has 2 C16-C17 2-light casements with internally moulded wooden mullions, C20 2-light casement above, and C20 door. Cross wing projects slightly to right, with restored crow-stepped gable, 2½ storeys, altered windows and small brick lean-to pantry. 3-storey tower to far right retains most C14 detail and has restored parapet, corbel table carved with fleurons, carved stone gargoyle, and octagonal stair turret with slit windows. Front of tower has 2 small lancets to ground floor, 2-light window with stone mullion and C16-C17 hood-mould to first floor, and restored window with stone mullion and transom above. Rear of tower has fine 2-light traceried window with 2-centred head. All windows have restored leading. Garden front of house has similar windows, some with restored 4-centred heads, and small lean-to in angle between wings with 2-centred chamfered stone arch at entrance to undercroft. Carved fragments of medieval masonry are re-set into walls of hall range. Interior: small stone tierceron vaulted undercroft has chamfered ribs and 5 bosses finely carved with foliage: centre boss also with carved heads. Hall range, now of 3 bays but probably once 4, retains original trusses with upper base crucks, heavy moulded arched braces to cambered tie beams and curved braces to cambered collars. Intermediate upper trusses also have curved braces to collars. Moulded wind-braces to moulded lower purlins, arched wind-braces above. Part of roof has collar purlin, and one truss has braced post between collar and ridge. Floor inserted c.1600 on stop-chamfered cross beams, the ground floor ceiling with 2 moulded plaster pendants set diagonally. Large old 2-panelled door to entrance lobby. Small room to centre front of hall range has re-sited early C17 panelling, now painted. Fine early C17 staircase has turned balusters, moulded handrail, chamfered newel posts with ball finials, and string carved with gadrooning. Finely moulded and stopped wooden doorcases. Original great chamber, now partitioned, on first floor of cross wing, has C16-C17 moulded plaster ceiling with large coffers, and wooden fireplace with segmental arch and panelled overmantel of similar date. Second floor of cross-wing served as long gallery, part retaining a C16-C17 ceiling with thin plaster ribs forming lozenge pattern. Tower has moulded reveals to ground floor windows, arched doorway to E., elaborately moulded spine beam to first floor ceiling, and upper room with old door and moulded arched recess. RCHM II p. 94-98.

Listing NGR: SP8116821837

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North - Date: 1913 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 94-98

National Grid Reference: SP 81168 21837

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 07:07:30.