List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1117752

Location

THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Windsor and MaidenheadUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40467

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. HIGH STREET. 5130 (East Side) The Town Hall SU 9676 NE 3/37 4.1.50. GV 2. Date uncertain, probably 1686. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren. The original building consists of a 2-storey rectangle, open on ground floor. The ground floor is of stone, with 6-bay front to west with chamfered rusticated angle piers and 3/4 engaged Doric columns, between openings, supporting entablature with curved frieze, which is carried round building. The upper part brick with stone entablature and 6 windows with stone architrave and cills. The principal decoration is on the south front which has 3 arched openings (3 central arches) between the angle piers on ground floor, and Corinthian pilasters on upper part supporting entablature and pediment. The 2 upper windows have stone aprons with richly carved swags and drops, flanking a central stone niche with elaborate cartouche to base and statue of Prince George of Denmark. The north front repeats this general design but with swag and drop ornament to base of niche which has a statue of Queen Anne. The building was extended 2 bays to the east in 1829, repeating the general design of the older part. Nos 46 to 50 (consec) No 1 Castle Hill Market Cross House, The Town Hall form a group.

Listing NGR: SU9682376831

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 96823 76831

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:46:18.