List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1117004

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH SIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityWinterton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 442397

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 9218-9318 WINTERTON CHURCH SIDE (north side) 9/48 Church of All Saints 6.11.67

GV I Church. Mid Cll tower and nave, early-mid C13 nave aisles, transepts and upper stage to tower, later C13 chancel, C14 south door and windows to aisles and transepts. Mid C17 restorations, C18 north porch. C19 vestry. Restorations 1903-4 by C. Hodgeson Fowler included addition of nave clerestory and tower parapet, rebuilding chancel gable and re-roofing and re-flooring throughout. Engaged west tower flanked by aisles, 3-bay aisled nave with north and south porches, 2-bay north and south transepts, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay vestry adjoining north side. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. 4-stage tower: plinth, quoins and chamfered string courses to first 3 stages. Tall first stage has west door with low arched lintel and later lancet above. Stepped-in second stage has twin round-headed belfry openings with cylindrical mid-wall shafts and cushion capitals. Circular sound-holes to 3rd stage, obscured on south by C19 clockface. 4th stage has tall twin pointed belfry openings with nook shafts and central chamfered shaft. C20 corbel table, spouts and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. West ends of aisles flanking tower have chamfered plinth, buttresses, moulded cillband and pointed 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. South aisle: chamfered plinth, buttresses, square-headed windows of 2 and 3 trefoiled lights, North aisle: blocked square opening, C18 lancet, 3-light pointed window with intersecting tracery. Transepts: plinth, quoins, moulded cillband; 2 east lancets, those to north and south with hoodmoulds; 4-light north and south windows with Curvilinear tracery and hoodmoulds. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle and mid buttresses; 2 lancets to north and south, plate-traceried south window with 2-lights and circle above, pointed chamfered priest's door, all with hoodmoulds and carved stops; C20 pointed 3-light east window and pinnacled gable. Vestry has lancets and pointed north door with oval light above. North porch has blocked pointed door, pedimented gable and pointed interior vault. South porch: pointed outer arch with inner shafted order, flanked by pair of trefoiled niches with a third in C20 rebuilt gable above. Pointed inner door of 2 shafted orders with roll-moulded arch: ogee-headed niche above with ornate carved base and crocketed canopy flanked by pinnacled buttresses. Original door with ornate strap hinges. Interior. Narrow round-headed windows to north and south sides of tower; round-headed tower arch with a narrow flat-headed doorway above. Nave arcades of double- chamfered pointed arches with hoodmoulds and carved headstops on octagonal piers with moulded bases, finely-carved foliate capitals (one C19) and bold mid-shaft collars, keeled to north, dog-tooth moulded to south. Keeled and triple-shafted west responds; broad filleted responds to east, with a plain moulded capital to south and a re-used Romanesque capital to north with animal carving. South transept: dog-tooth hoodmould to one lancet; rectangular aumbry and pointed chamfered piscina. Similar piscina to north transept. Pointed chamfered chancel arch of 3 orders on filleted responds; plain moulded capital to north, foliate capital to south. Restored piscina to chancel. Mutilated brass in chancel floor to John Rudd and two wives, of 1504; carved stone tablet on south wall to Peter Gering 1590, with arms and full achievement. Late C18-early C19 marble wall tablets in chancel and south aisle. Present font C19; earlier font in south transept has octagonal bowl on re-used foliate capital with nailhead moulding to abacus. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 424-5; H. & J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, Volume 2, 1965, 674-5. Drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9282718589

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 424-5
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 674-5

National Grid Reference: SE 92831 18590

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:25:08.