List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1116830

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Kew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351532

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 07 NW ST KEW ST KEW 5/188 Church of St James (previously 6.6.69 listed as Church of St Kew) GV I Parish church. Circa C15. Restored in 1883. Stone ashlar with moulded plinth and slate roofs with nave and chancel in one. C15 Perpendicular tracery largely intact with heads of tracery to north and south aisles partly restored or renewed, tracery in north window of chancel partly restored and tracery in east window of chancel largely renewed. Masonry fairly undisturbed with several straight joints in fabric Comprises 5-bay nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. Chancel 5 light east window with C19 tracery and mullions but in original frame; C15 arched south doorway with C19 door; C15 north window-with original Perpendicular tracery. North and south aisles : C15 4 centred arch 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery; circa C16 west window of south aisle with unmoulded tracery; circa C15 5- light east window of south aisle with basket arch and Perpendicular tracery; and circa C15 4-light east window of north aisle with Perpendicular tracery. Fine west tower of 3 stages with turret stair on south, set back, stepped buttresses and partly renewed battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles and crocketted finials. Circa C15 moulded 4-centred arch to west door with renewed hood, 3-light west window with eroded uncusped Perpendicular tracery, 2-light windows with rectangular surrounds and 3-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery and slate louvres. Gabled south porch with wide 4-centred granite arch with hood-mould and carved label stops and sundial in gable above. Moulded 2-centred greenstone arch to south door with pyramid stops and hood-mould. Triple lapped and studded possibly C16 door with inner face renewed. Interior with tall lofty 5-bay nave and chancel with north and south aisles of equal height. Circa C15 waggon roofs throughout although partly restored ceiled with later boarding probably replacing plaster; moulded transerve and longitudinal ribs with carved bosses, arcade and wall plates. The chancel and 2 eastern bays of the north and south aisles have carved ribs and the bosses in the chancel have been re- gilded probably in the 1970s. Carved figures of angels at springing points of ribs in nave and south aisle (qv Church of St Endellienta, St Endellion) partly renewed in circa late C19 or early C20. C15 waggon roof in porch, partly restored with moulded ribs, carved wall plate and 2 carved bosses. Arcade to north and south aisles of 5 bays with tall type A (Pevsner) moulded piers with tall bases carved capitals and moulded 4-centred arches. Unmoulded 2-centred tower arch. Circa C15 octagonal font with moulded cornice and base and band of quatrefoils. Fine circa C17 timber pulpit with carved panels. Cusped head to piscina in chancel possibly once continuing to west with sedilia and possibly reworked piscina in north aisle. Rood loft turret with stair in north aisle. C19 chancel screen, possibly with fragments of earlier screen although heavily restored. Four circa C15 bench ends remain. Over south door plaster royal arms dated CR 1661, this is formed on an interesting older oak framed and chamfered construction possibly a Tympanum, mutilated when arms moved to present position. Almsbox at west end of north aisle. Glass of particulary fine quality with C15 east window in north aisle almost complete with exception of 2 lower panels. Depicts the events of Holy week with arms of Henry V above with those of the Carminow, Kingdom and Beare families. This window is reputed to have been referred to in accounts of the mayor and churchwardens of Bodmin, circa 1469, with entry 'It. y recevyd for a Wyndow of Seynt Kewa, xxjs vijd' (Polsu). Circa C15 reset glass in east window of south aisle with fragments of Tree of Jesse. Further glass in south aisle, reset with heraldic arms. Memorials: East end of nave with several C18 legers stones of fine quality; slate stone hung on south aisle to John Cavell, 1602 with arms of Cavell impaling Courtenay, Godolphin and Pomory; slate stone hung on north aisle to Honor, wife of John Webber of Ambel, died 1601 with carved figure of mother and three children in relief. Classical memorial in tower to Mrs Melloney Pomory, died 1799. Several fine ledger stones hung on exterior of church including those of Nicholas Philips, 1779 and John Ballamy of Drewsteignton, Devon, 1702. Resited lantern cross and Ogham stone at west end of south aisle. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970. Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, Vol II, 1868 rp. 1974. Shenton, J S A Short Account of St Kew Parish Church.

Listing NGR: SX0215976889

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Polsue, J - Title: Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall - Date: 1872 - Volume: 2
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Polsue, J - Title: Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall - Date: 1872 - Volume: 2
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Shenton, J S - Title: A Short History of St Kew Parish Church
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 02159 76885

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 04:52:16.