List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COCKYNS HOSPITAL COGAN HOUSE COGANS HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1116577

Location

COCKYNS HOSPITAL
COGAN HOUSE, 53 AND 53A, ST PETER'S STREET
COGANS HOSPITAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 442979

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 944 ST PETER'S STREET

Nos 53 and 53A (Cogan House) TR 1457 NE 4/79A 3.5.67. II* GV

2. A complete list of the occupiers of this house exists back to the late C12. It was originally called Cockyns Hospital after William Cockyn (d l203). This was later changed to Cogans Hospital after John Cogan who occupied the house from 1626-1657 and on his death founded a hospital there for the widows of ministers. The front elevation is outwardly C19. 3 storeys red brick. Old tiled roof in 2 hips. 4 cambered sashes. 2 bays on 1st floor. Ground floor has later C19 shop front with marble risers and a triglyph and paterae frieze. Behind this is an L-shaped mediaeval building of hall type with walls of flint, chalk and stone 2 ft 3 ins thick. It is one of the few stone houses in Canterbury to survive. The interior has been much altered but has a stone pointed doorway in the hall and its original king-post in the attic. An addition was made on the south side by John Bygg mercer and mayor of Canterbury, about 1473. This has a heavily panelled and moulded ceiling of oak on tile ground floor, and carved doorways an the 1st floor. The hall has parchemin panelling, probably erected by John Bygg's widow, Constance, (d 1513), and carved frieze above it, put up by John Thomas, hosier, in the early C16. Later in the C16, Ralph Baldwin added a panelled parlour with a plaster ceiling on the site of the courtyard facing the street and a similar room above it. He also probably inserted the staircase (of which the upper portion was altered in 1870). The house remained a hospital for the widows of ministers from l668-1870. The building was completely refronted in 1870.

Nos 49 to 60 (consec), Methodist Church and forecourt to Methodist Church form a group.

Listing NGR: TR1473057959

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 14733 57962

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:26:08.